May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lloyd3, Jtplumb), 268 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,493
Posts545,327
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo. I am not an A-5 collector, nor even much of an aficionado. So far, all I have to go on is that "It's a Browning A-5, because I say so."
Is every auto loading shotgun sold today licensing the Benelli inertia driven system going to be sold as a Benelli in the future?

Would a customer walking into a gunshop when that particular shotgun was sitting in the rack have been told, "This is the new Browning autoloader"..? Or would it have been more like today, where the customer would have been told, "This is the new XXX, they license the action design from Benelli, and they are made in the same factory alongside the Benelli's."

I know it only matters to a subset of potential collectors, I'm just curious is all.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You got me there Zapper. I'll just have to respect your opinion in the spirit in which it is offered...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George has anyone else seen or documented another gun with similar engraving? I think it is period but not likely factory engraving. Low serial number for sure. But I've never seen a Teutonic style engraved A5 like this one. I think it was bought and then engraved to suit the new owner. A after market upgrade engraved gun. Might find a known browning engravers mark to support a factory connection somewhere in the engraving But unsigned engraving will be hard pressed to prove factory linkage.

Condition is certain to discount final sale price. Think what that must have looked like a hundred bumps ago. If pristine it would interest ten times the buyers as it is I see an interesting early gun which generates as many questions as it answers and to some of us that is a bonus.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon, I've certainly never seen another like this one. I have seen one of the engraving patterns before. It is the one with 'rolling rabbit' and it was on a Browning product of some sort and there has been speculation that the hunter in the engraving is meant to portray John M. Browning himself.

Someone has suggested that FN outsourced all it's engraving until sometime in the 1920's. Same to be said for most of the English doubles we all love; does that make it 'aftermarket' or just part of the service for a special ordered gun?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand out source engraving. My question is there any way to prove this gun was engraved by or for browning? I think it was done afterwards. After it was sold to a hunter who wanted to dress up his new automatic like his old double gun. The scenes are classic ones which you can find on a number of well made Germanic doubles. I could see someone buying a plain A5, shooting it and then sending it out to have it engraved in Germany or Austria in the style that they did all good doubles. Perhaps he sent a eching of what he wanted directly to browning and they did it for him. Without documentation or another a5 done like this one I will think after not factory.

As to value it will be worth what ever the buyer decides he is willing to pay for it. True value is what he can sell it for when he tires of it and the second buyer pays for it. We will know then if the first guy paid too much like many of us tend to do when buying rare, seldom seen or just old guns as my wife calls them. Thanks for sharing an interesting gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Perfectly sound reasoning Jon. I do not require agreement from anyone with respect to my opinions. Who knows?...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Original engraving or not I have no doubt that the question will be used to try to reduce any purchase price and that is just the nature of negotiation. Ten minutes at a bench grinder and the offending decoration is gone...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll wag that the engraving has a bit of a Belgian Teutonic feel, and if it ended up in Germany, there wasn't a whole lot of time before the rumblings of war were on folks mind.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One thing for absolutely sure that I will say about the 'originality' of the engraving is, to quote former Georgia Governor Marvin Griffin: "Some of my friends feel this way about the issue and some of my friends feel that way about the issue, but you may depend upon me to always agree with my friends!"...Geo

Boxlock
Boxlock

Geo,

The key is not only did FN outsource their engraving, the did not have a Standard Engraving Pattern catalogued until the 1923 when they resumed importation to the US and catalogued Grades 1-4 and Engraving Patterns A,D, and F.

The "Book" on A5's by Vanderlinden and Shirley shows many engraving patterns and styles that were in the FN records and sales information.

The "Bands" that you believe you see is actually wood, as the finger groove of the earliest A5 did not extend to the end of the forearm. I would contend that the art used in the catalogue shown by Researcher is actually illustrations of 12 ga. guns.

I have not seen an example of a 16 ga. gun that has this type of forearm, by 1909 the finger groove extended through the end of the forearm on both 12's and 16's.

Will

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.