April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Sun Dog, eeb), 993 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,118
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

In remarking on the Poldi Anticorro I was just hoping to learn something.

I posted the August Stukenbrok catalogue page just to show that they were being called Brownings in Europe. Surprised no one has commented on that "Paradox" barrel.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It may be that Poldi was the 'special steel' they offered? If I were shooting boars I'd have ordered the "paradox" barrel. I think the safety lockout feature would be handy in case a sounder of boars were to turn and charge en masse...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just to wind up my story on this thread, I had a chance to sit down and talk with the owner this afternoon. He confirmed my hypothesis that the gun was indeed a WW-2 bring-back that been gifted to his great Grandfather. He didn't have any papers.

He also confirmed that he wanted to cash it in and I suggested he take it from here on any sale. I gave him the benefit of my research and of all the great information I gleaned from you on the forum. One gentleman from the ShotgunWorld site johnr recommended is particularly interested and has contacted me. I handed him off to the owner and wish him well.

Thank you all for an education on a subject I really knew nothing about...Geo

P.S.: If anyone else would like to contact the owner directly, just PM me for his name and email.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher: I just saw the post with the Paradox barrel and that feature jumped out immediately. I had thought that Paradox type barrels for single tube guns were a much more modern development.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Everyone keeps telling me the fitted metal bands on the fore end aren't original, but look at the drawing of the model 7201 shown in the period ad Researcher posted. I think I see the band...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not exactly a safe queen Geo, but it seems like you're not too interested in it. Why not sleep on it and call the guy back and consider buying it when the fellow comes up with his own price. It looks like a good one, and chances are on the unique side. Just volunteer to loan the photographer an old towel if he wants to throw it on that patio table again.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Uh, way too many doves ducks turkeys quail squirrels rabbits and at least one wild hog cleaned on that patio table. Not a good subject to take up with my wife! If I got a new one what do you think her reaction would be the first time I dropped a limit of wet bloody mourning doves on it. I'd be cleaning birds in the yard!

I advised the guy so I don't think I could ethically buy it. Not my thing anyhow.

He'll end up selling it for three grand to a collector. Coolest thing about the whole deal was the picture the owner had of his Great Grand dDad on a horse in the South FL turpentine woods holding the gun.

I couldn't sell a family gun like that, but it is his choice....Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After I turned the gun back over to the owner to work out any sale arrangements he might be satisfied with I was contacted by a few of the guys from the Shotgunworld site. I referred them to the owner. I was enjoying watching the collectors throw one another off the trail and now the threads on this gun have gone silent.

Having thoroughly inspected this gun myself and knowing the history of it as well as the family it is coming from I am convinced it is right as rain with the sole exception of the kick-pad which was installed over the uncut end of the stock. I have really enjoyed the research on this Browning humpback..Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo. What do you mean? I think newbies might be interested in your take on the subterfuge you allude to.
After all, "The money is made on the buy, not the sell"...

Myself, all my questions were honest and forthright. The few responses received were insulting, but not unexpected.
I never did get any clarity on what actually made that shotgun a very collectible "Browning", as opposed to a very well embellished "FN". It would be interesting to know whether the hard rubber buttplate said FN or Browning.

Maybe someone can translate the advertisement posted. It may shed more light on how those guns were perceived when first made.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Zapper, I'm truly sorry if I have insulted you with regard to your questions. Lets try once more.

The subject gun is a first year of manufacture 1909 16ga Browning Semiautomatic A-5 with a three digit serial number. All Belgian Brownings were manufactured by Fabrique Nationale of Herstal, Belgium under contract with John M. Browning. That alone makes it extremely rare and collectible to Browning enthusiasts. The embellishment and upgrades, including special steel, solid rib, fore end braces, and 100% engraving (all original and factory in my opinion) just add to the interest and value. Kind of like a Grand American Winchester 21 as opposed to a field grade.

The added on recoil pad just says "Whiteline" and was not original to the gun. It does NOT appear to me from inspecting the gun that the stock was cut to install the pad because the original curve of the butt remains

Finally, if there is any 'subterfuge' and competition involved among the possible buyers, I'll let you work that out for yourself. The owner came to me and asked for my opinion and with the help of the forum here I have done some research and expressed to him my personal opinion of the originality and value of a unique gun...Geo

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.