March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#409147 07/03/15 03:54 PM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

anyone know what pressure these are operating at?
As I inquired about 2 1/2" loads, looking for factory loads to shoot in my 20 Ga. Fox. currently has 2 1/2' chambers but I can open them up or at least lengthen forcing cones if that gives me more options in ammo other than 11.00 a box RST's

any thoughts on this?

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Letsee, your spending 5k or more for your very nice custom gun thats on the Foxsite and youre' worried about 3 or 4 bucks a box premium for Rst shells? How many will yoiu shoot in a liteweight fox? Its not a target gun.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Brian, having a CSMC 20 ga Fox I too try to shoot low pressure and low recoil loads for practice. While my gun may not be a "target gun" it is my go to bird gun. Seems to me like if I am to improve my bird shooting then I should use it to target shoot. I shoot skeet(for fun) with it and have been trying to shoot 2 or 3 rounds per week.
My solution is to reload down to 3/4 oz light loads for skeet. This is much more pleasant than shooting multiple rounds with the standard 7/8 oz. They seem to break the clays just as well.

If you lengthen your chambers for 23/4 shells there are now many reloading recipes for 3/4 oz. Claybuster is also making a 3/4 oz wad that gives good results.

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cherry Bomb,
no, that's not my logic. Do you pas by the gas station selling gas for 2.95 a gallon and go to the station next to it and pay 2.80 ? probably. But if 2.95 was the only gas there was, you would buy it. same here. I know I can buy RST at 10 a box. But I can buy AA a whole lot cheaper and since I don't reload, a 35-40% savings adds up quick; by way of allowing me to shoot more for the same money.
besides the point that a number of distributors wont sell to NY Dealers. I am an FFL holder and still there are guys who wont ship to me.
I can get Win AA low recoil from my distributor no problem. so its not just price, its also availability. remember , this is NY.
not being cheap, being practical. and I have no Scots blood in my family tree.

Last edited by Brian; 07/03/15 09:44 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
Cherry Bomb,
no, that's not my logic. Do you pas by the gas station selling gas for 2.95 a gallon and go to the station next to it and pay 2.80 ? probably. But if 2.95 was the only gas there was, you would buy it. same here. I know I can buy RST at 10 a box. But I can buy AA a whole lot cheaper and since I don't reload, a 35-40% savings adds up quick; by way of allowing me to shoot more for the same money.
besides the point that a number of distributors wont sell to NY Dealers. I am an FFL holder and still there are guys who wont ship to me.
I can get Win AA low recoil from my distributor no problem. so its not just price, its also availability. remember , this is NY.
not being cheap, being practical. and I have no Scots blood in my family tree.

I'm with you on the savings. I'm also in NY and it sucks getting factory loads that are not available locally. I'm sure glad I reload so I can tailor my loads for the use. Guys at the club ask me why I shoot 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga. for skeet when they are all shooting 1 1/8 oz and say they are more effective. Just shoot a 20 ga. they tell me. Plus Remington gun clubs are so close to what I can load a box of shells for. My loads break them just as much as everyone else but just not as hard. But I can load 100 more shells per bag of shot. Side advantage they are easy on the shooter too.

Last edited by Woody402; 07/03/15 10:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, most people who got into reloading did so at least partially for the cost savings, which was once greater than it is now. There's nothing wrong with looking for more affordable alternatives because the savings can go toward more shooting or better guns. I've never once seen Cherry Bomb contribute anything at all positive here to anybody. Just criticism and complaining. Any time you describe some older and well used gun, be sure to use the term "rode hard and put away wet", because that seems to piss off Cherry Bomb.

Can you guess Cherry Bomb's name. My guess would be Richard Head... or Dick, for short.

I believe your question about the pressure of AA Low Recoil loads has been asked here before, and nobody could give a definitive answer. I suppose you could send some to Tom Arbrust for testing, but the results would only be valid for that particular lot since Winchester could make changes at any time.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,
I just read of a 7800 psi 7/8 oz. load recipe in 2 3/4" on the Hodgdon site using Longshot. Alliant has some good prospects in both 3/4 and 7/8 oz. One was 7200 psi with a pie crimp. Assuming Sherman Bell's testing is also applicable to 20 gauge, then there would be no harm in using it in a short chamber. If you still prefer the short shell, then trim 1/4" off the hull and roll crimp. Roll crimping a pie crimp recipe often results in lower pressures by 200-500 psi. Check out online reloading data by all the major powder companies for further possibilities in 2 3/4" for roll crimp conversion to 2.5". Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do Not fire any shell in any gun in which the "Loaded" length of the shell exceeds that of the chamber depth. This should not be a problem with the 2 3/4" pie crimped shell as long as the chamber is up to the 2˝" length & was not "Short Chambered". I am not certain if this practise by some makers carried over into gauges other than the 12 or not.
After cutting the hulls to length another alternative to the roll crimp is to use the "Hartin" crimp which was mentioned quite frequently here several years back.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian

Never throw away old data.....I found a Fiocchi brochure from 2006. The specs on the 20ga 3/4oz load shows 1075 fps and 6760 psi. Who knows what pressure in 2015 but I doubt it's much higher. I would be very comfortable shooting these in a Fox with short chambers.

Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dad had a AE 20 Fox and he never shot anything but 1 oz shells. He bought them by the case (20 box). The only problem was the little girl kicked hard and broke several stocks. 50 years later it finally occured to me that it had short chambers. The lever is still right of center and a forth generation is getting ready to use it after at least 3/4 century of abuse. Tough old girl

bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.