April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bsteele, rtw, Sun Dog, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 1,076 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would look for an existing set of barrels and have them put on the gun. Can't imagine even a nice CE being worth much without safe barrels. A new set of 30s or better yet 32s from Pumkin Mountain would certainly make it desirable. Figure out how much these options will cost and see where you're at.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels may be able to have the bulge removed by taking the runs off, removing and putting them back on again. Has been done before.

B.Dudley
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

With a serious bulge at the breech where the pressure is at its peak striking off a bulge would be a very bad idea. The metal has already been stretched beyond its elastic limit creating an unknown variable. My eyes and fingers are much too valuable to attempt that type of repair. I have successfully removed bulges further forward in an area of the barrel where the pressure has dropped substantially by pounding down as much as possible and then striking off the high spots. I am unsure if this is the gun I think it is....if so it has been in my shop a couple of times and a safe and cost effective solution has not been found so far. Fitting a used set of barrels will most likely be the answer as the amount of work to fit a NOS set is cost prohibitive in most cases. They require many many hours of careful fitting.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we can all speculate (mine being they can't be fixed), but the best thing to do in my mind is to send them to Kirk Merrington and have him do an evaluation and develop some options. Graded 12 gauge barrels aren't hard to find in 12 gauge. The fact they have the early style ejectors might complicate things a tad, but I'm sure they are out there. You might be able to find an early AE that's in rough shape with good barrels and do a swap and fit, but starting with Kirk would be my first step to knowing what your options are.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
With a serious bulge at the breech where the pressure is at its peak striking off a bulge would be a very bad idea. The metal has already been stretched beyond its elastic limit creating an unknown variable. My eyes and fingers are much too valuable to attempt that type of repair. I have successfully removed bulges further forward in an area of the barrel where the pressure has dropped substantially by pounding down as much as possible and then striking off the high spots. I am unsure if this is the gun I think it is....if so it has been in my shop a couple of times and a safe and cost effective solution has not been found so far. Fitting a used set of barrels will most likely be the answer as the amount of work to fit a NOS set is cost prohibitive in most cases. They require many many hours of careful fitting.

SKB is right on target. I had Kirk fit an NOS set of barrels to my Ideal 16, giving him what I thought was a hefty deposit. He did them in record time, and when I asked what the balance was, I asked if that was the total or additional to the deposit already given (he had explained up front that the charges would be actual bench time, and that it was difficult to estimate). "Additional."

As I wrote the check (absolutely top drawer work, BTW), I said "looks like I'm helping pay for that trip to the Bahamas."

"No, but you are helping with my wife's trip back to England." smile

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Gr8day Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes SBK, it is the gun your thinking of. Twice I've bought barrels that could have matched but they required to much fitting to be worth it. Shipping and transaction costs start to add up after a while and I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad. Also, not just any old Fox barrels will do. The draft angles of Foxes changed after the early years plus the Horne style ejectors were redesigned after 1910 I think. So a near-fit set of barrels is hard to find to begin with, and getting a qualified guy like SBK to do the fine tuning doesn't come cheap.

Last edited by Gr8day; 07/05/15 09:46 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.