May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sandlapper, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 214 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Matt,
looking at your pics again, I would say that not much cleaning on the action is needed, apart from perhaps the area under the horn trigger guard.
Don't forget to lightly oil he surfaces after cleaning with rubbing alcohol (teaching my grandmother to suck eggs! - hehe)
I attach a couple of pics of my 1939 German BBF (only one shotgun barrel on top of a rifle barrel)for comparison.
I have not particularly cleaned the surface of the action as I think the contrast looks good as it is; and it is, after all, an old lady & needs to be shown in all her glory.

Regards
Günter
NRA Life 1974

Last edited by Gunter; 06/24/15 01:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunter,
Nice gun. Is the "monte carlo" stock original? I think I like it better than most pig-back stocks.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hum, that Hog-back looks to be for a Southpaw/left handed shooter.

Ford, that bullet weight is 9 grams total.

That Omega you mention is something like JP or the like. I'd bet the RL on the frame is for the frame filer/action mechanic.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I assumed the R L to mean Right / Left... Thinking about that now I feel kinda stupid... Right / Left on a German gun??

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Right/Left" in German is "Rechts/Links". Same initials.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Xausa, you really believe the letters are for right & left?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani,
the stock is original and would have been a 'Monte Carlo' stock - unfortunately someone removed the raised part (or:deutsche Backe) at some stage before I got the gun.
I have made a leather wrap around 'piggy back' comb riser which brings my eye nicely in line with the scope.

Best regards

Günter
NRA Life 1974

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gunter,
You have a real beauty there, awesome. I agree the contrast on your piece looks really nice.

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever seen a "R" & "L" stamped on the frame like that (on any gun). With no other identification marks on the frame... I don't know. However, often times the simplest explination is the right explination...

Raimey, based on your response to Xausa, I'd guess you've never seen anything like this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd concur on the Okham's Razor approach, but I'd hold with initials until there's some use of having Right & Left on the frame. I'd guess it was for a mechanic like say Richard Luck, but I can't say if his speciality was actions or if he was still active in the early 1930s.

Kind Regards,

Raimiey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Psuklinger,
My opinion(only an opinion)that the stock was refinished was based on an overall impression,which included the recoil pad and the somewhat glossy finish.While certainly possible,it rould be unusual to find a 1933 drilling with a glossy stock, showing little wear/damage, unless it was refinished.Keep in mind, this was not a criticism, I believe it is a nice job.A drilling such as this was made to be used, and used frequently. When I lived and hunted in Germany,the Reh(Roe) deer season opened in mid May(1 June in some States).During this time of the year,it got dark very late, which allowed hunting after working a full day(even overtime).I hunted almost every day during this time and very frequently even when it got dark earlier.My experience was closer to a German hunter's(such as would have owned your drilling)than to a typical American hunter's.A drilling such as this one would have been a very fine tool, to be used, rather than an object to be looked at.As such, it would sustain "fair wear and tear"and would show it.Repairing this damage from time to time,adding a recoil pad, mounting a scope,or other changes would be done as necessary w/o any idea that it would hurt the originality.While I know others disagree,in my opinion this is akin to changing the oil or replacing the water pump in your car,and doesn't hurt it.
As far as the L and R stamped on the action,my initial impression was also "left and right", but why? The other parts inside are likely identified as to their intended location, but not with a l or r. Screws, especially "clocked" screws would be marked by lines filed on the unseen end.Typically(although other systems might be used)a screw for the right side would have no mark, one for the left would have one line; in the case of a drilling,a third screw of the same function would have a X.This would only apply to parts that can be installed in more than one location. All that said, I don't know what the L and R mean.
Raimey,
Your computer sees things clearer than mine(or maybe your young eyes), a 9 gram bullet could also be "spitzer".
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 06/25/15 12:19 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.