May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argo44), 217 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,170
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#405963 06/07/15 08:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Talking of eating Crow...I have shot a couple of Woodchucks up here in NH, (with my trusty Greener HammerGun)...Id see the tops of my Bush Beans quivering, n Id put the sneak on him...though a 22 through the kitchen window is more efficient, but less fun.
Im a huge fan of Rabbit as table fare...never had the guts to dress one up for the oven...perhaps this year....anyone ever eaten a Groundhog??, its in the same family, rodent,right
cheers Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's a big squirrel that eats only clean, green, vegetation. You could do worse. Squirrel is, "the other dark meat". I rate it with beef.
I've done it, but not recently (I make more money now, than I did then). I prefer it prepared as Brunswick stew, and use actual beef gravy. Google Brunswick stew, and skin him, then, have at it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember trying it years ago at a game dinner and I think it was prepared primarily like a stew. As I remember it was ok.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to shoot them growing up (their holes and our horses were not a good mix), and my father would take them to work for some of the plant workers. It never occurred to me to keep them.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot a bunch of them years ago in NY. Use to just stuff them back in their holes. We may have been missing out. Like Ted said they're greenies.

Last edited by ithaca1; 06/07/15 08:48 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've tried grilling and stewing. Stewing worked much better. It's boney, but perfectly good tasting. Grilling produced pretty tough meat. A pair of woodchucks can eat 1/2 ton of Alfalfa in a summer, so in that light, eating them tastes pretty good.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks folks,
I can make a pretty good stew, will try it with Woodchunks smile...with Dumplings too...will report back
I believe the Beverly HillBilly's thought highly of it
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father can tell you....in the early 60's he would drive his Chrysler into the 'farm country' outside of Buffalo and shoot woodchucks with his .222 Remington. The farmers would welcome anyone who would shoot them.

He'd load the trunk of the Chrysler with them when he was done and drive into the...more racially segregated ..... area of Buffalo. He remembers it well even now at the ripe age of 88... the folks there came to recognize his red car coming down the street. By the time he came to a stop they'd be lined up. He'd pop the trunk and the woodchucks would be parceled out in no time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ate then a couple of times when I shot them as a kid. My mother, who grew up in Idaho, would cook woodchuck for the family but she refused to even let me bring a rabbit into the house. Harking back to her childhood in Idaho, she considered rabbit to be vermin.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Thanks folks,
I can make a pretty good stew, will try it with Woodchunks smile...with Dumplings too...will report back
I believe the Beverly HillBilly's thought highly of it
cheers
franc

They also spoke highly of opossum innards, particularly as left-overs served the next day.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.