May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KRF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So far I know that G. F. Whitby worked for Joseph Lang around 1900 as a finisher and broke off and formed his own company sometime between 1900 and 1910. I have a G. F. Whitby SLE with a serial number 104. It's a "best" gun in excellent condition. Does anyone know anything about the G. F. Whitby gun company and any specific information about my gun serial number 104? Are there records for this company that might tell me when the gun was manufactured and who it was initially sold to? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17943/lot/125/

Welcome to the forum. Not much help I know, but here's number 101

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nigel Brown lists two Whitbys in the Birmingham area but different initials trading around the turn of the last century. May be related in some way. Nothing on G.F. Lagopus....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just looked at the one at Bonhams. The sleeving and short barrels may have put a few off but I think someone possibly got a bargin. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

IGC has very little:

Name G F Whitby
Other Names G F Whitby & Son
Address1 4 Chichele Road, Cricklewood
City/Town London
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun & Rifle Makers
Dates 1900?-1914?

Notes

Formerly with Joseph Lang & Son, he established his own business. The firm became G F Whitby & Son or G & F Whitby & Son.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a grat world war causulity. Wonder if he persihed in the world or was forced to find other employment because all his clients were off being killed or maimed? WWI put a lot of gunmakers out of business.

KRF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for your input on my G. F. Whitby shotgun. Do you have any other suggestions on other sites or people I could contact in the UK to find out more about my G. F. Whitby shotgun and the G. F. Whitby gun company? Specifically I'd like to know when my gun was made and who it was sold to. Other responses to my original post indicate my gun was probably made after 1905 and before 1914. Any additional help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I fear you have as much information as your likely to get on Whitby. They were not a long lived company so it's almost certain that no records of the business or guns sold still exist.

You could try contacting the local library in Cricklewood; they may have some suggestions for you to follow up. But don't expect too much.

Tim

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have followed with interest your topic. I am related to George Frederick Whitby and have also been trying to find out any information on him and his Guns.
About 18 members of the Whitby family were either gun component makers,gun engravers, gun case makers etc. They were located in the gun quater of Birmingham from 1841.
G F Whitby and his uncle H A Whitby appear to have been full "Gun Makers" and produced the completed Gun.
George Frederick Whitby moved to work in London and I do have a picture of him.
I would appreciate any information or images of guns etc on any of the Whitby gun makers.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.