Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, the name Wm. R Schaefer appears on the hammer gun and the less decorated hammerless. The gold adorned hammerless has Wm. R Schaefer and Son. [not Sons] I guess I am surprised the lesser engraved hammerless is not marked "Sons".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, you have one newspaper or magazine column marked 1869, but it references Wm. R Schaefer and Son. Is the date correct ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

From my research it appears that in 1883 William Schaefer's elder son, John Schaefer, was brought on as a partner in the business. Interestingly, it appears that the younger son, William, was never made a partner. I have only seen the "Schaefer & Son" name in period advertisements and business records, never "Schaefer & Sons". Similarly, I have only seen the "& Son" markings on the guns themselves.

The hammerless Schaefer & Son guns appear to be sourced from two makers - Westley Richards in England and Lindner in Suhl. The Westley sourced Schaefer actions have a flat action while the Lindner sourced guns are scalloped (along with other stylistic differences). From an admittedly small sample, I would also make the observation that the Westley Richards sourced guns usually feature engraving while the Lindner guns often have no engraving

Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finally received the photographs requested from the seller and they indicate what was earlier thought would be the case when eventually viewed, in that the standing breech of the E. C. Schmidt (serial no. 1424) 10-bore gun does not have the inverted Anson & Deeley patent / use stamp, whether in French or English, which A & D original patent of 1875 expired worldwide in 1889, does not have a country of origin stamp, but has post-1891 German nitro-proof stamps. Although there is no serial number on the tail of the trigger-guard tang, the serial number "1424" is indeed present on the gun's water-table, barrel flats, etc. The surprise is the revealed Scott square crossbolt that came in to use in 1892. The twentieth century sideclips are indeed mechanical and not simply decorative. The unrefined appearance of this gun, however, leads me to believe that while it may have come from the Suhl area or somewhere else in Germany and looks in appearance to be the common article, it was not touched by Lindner or his select outworkers. Though it just may be my disappointment in the condition of this gun and its lack of finish or engraving that causes me to have this perspective.

The photograph below demonstrates the 10-bore's lack of a serial number on the tail of the trigger-guard tang, which too is as was suggested:

The next photograph is a view of the 10-bore E. C. Schmidt gun's standing breech, in which you can also see the Scott square crossbolt in its recess. There is also what appears to be a single locking screw for the bolt in the upper right-side of the breech face. The fit of the pieces is well-done and expert. The action body, excepting the many detracting surface blemishes, seems well-made although not quite equal to the standards, even those for an exported semi-finished or finished in-the-white gun, of the Prussian-made or finished Daly guns when encountered in their plainly finished models, or of a gun intended to be finished subsequently by its U.S. importer:

Below is another view that pictorially buttresses my above point:

The water-table marks are informative, not only for the fact that one sees the crown over "U" untersuchung (and nearby associated eagle stamp) or view stamp, as well as the serial number "1424," but also because the initials "E.S." appear, which additionally inform the viewer that this gun was imported by E. (C.) Schmidt:

With the following photograph, the markings and stamps on the barrel flats and the undersides of the barrels help complete the story of this particular gun. Again, the serial number "1424" is shown, the post-1891 nitro-proofs are present, the bore is shown by "10" and "11/1," and the smooth bore proof is also shown (crown over "S"). The gun is marked as being proofed for a choked barrel (crown over "W"). Per the stamps appearing on the underside of the barrels, the barrel-maker is "R.S." and his proprietary maker number opposite is "1670." The stamped "D" on the barrel flat is curious:

To speculate, this gun seems to have been imported into the U.S. by Schmidt no earlier than 1892 (and likelier in or around 1893 when he started in business), after being nitro-proofed by the Germans prior to its export to the U.S. Perhaps it then remained in inventory until an order was placed with Schmidt for an out-of-fashion 10-bore gun built in the odd for the period configuration we see to-day, in approximately 1902-4. In completing the order, the action body was upgraded with period sideclips, etc.

All the foregoing make rough sense until you come to the anomaly. That anomaly is the lack of the country of origin stamp usually seen on the water table, underside of the barrels, underside of the forearm wood or metal, etc. on a gun otherwise marked / stamped in accordance with and that evinces mechanical aspects of a post-1891-2 manufactured gun. In comparison, I own another similarly disconcerting gun, built on an English W & C Scott action body that, in addition to having no country of origin stamp anywhere (nor patent or use stamps), has only British black powder proofs and yet has the aforementioned sideclips too, as well as the Scott-patented crossbolt, which highly finished, privately labeled and U.S. imported gun, complete with black and white Kilby-marked and numbered damascus barrels, was provably completed in Prussia by H. A. Lindner (although it does not bear the maker's trademark stamp).

The obvious question is "Why not anywhere a country of origin stamp?" Were separately imported parts, as opposed to complete operative units, entering the U.S. for sometime post-1891 (and before Schoverling, Daly & Gales were successfully sued for avoiding taxes / duties in this manner by the U.S. Treasury) somehow exempt from country of origination markings and / or import duties / taxation if lawfully defined at the time as unassembled parts? The answer(s) might help sort out some of the questions that have always surrounded these 'hybrid' European guns imported into the U.S. during the so-called Golden Age, with any number of them being owned by the correspondents here, which possess otherwise inexplicable out-of-time characteristics needing reasonable and historically based explication.

I have greatly enjoyed reading everyone's posts regarding the E. C. Schmidt gun, and I have learned a great deal not previously known to me; always a very enjoyable and worthwhile experience. The photographs accompanying texts are great and the guns depicted enviable. I appreciate every response and am grateful for the interest shown. Thank you! With my

Best regards,

Edwardian

Sidelock
Sidelock

D is always omni-present in that same position on non-Sauer doubles made in Suhl. Schilling forge tubes & tube work by H.A. Lindner's staple Robert Schlegelmilch Meiningen/Suhl. E.S is the Suhl mechanic who either filed the frame & worked the action or both.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Raimey, you have one newspaper or magazine column marked 1869, but it references Wm. R Schaefer and Son. Is the date correct ?

No, No. Faux pas, Faux pas on my part. Somehow saved the wrong date for the 1885 advert/image. Thanks for following along.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1882 they are listed in 3 formats:

R. Schaefer & Son for J.F.R. Schaefer
W.R. Schaefer & Sons for Richard(Dick) Schaefer
William R. Schaefer & Sons(J.F.R. & Richard(Dick))

All at same address of 61 Elm

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the overhanging/intercepting scear screw lacking on the right side? I can't really tell from the image. Also is the rectangular/square crossbolt hidden?

I'm all but positive H.A. Lindner's HAL over Crossed sidearms is present forward of the flats. They've just been worked a bit or disguised.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

As an aside, I've heard some rumblings of a Christian Daly of Suhl who hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1885. More than likely just pure happenstance??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen only 3 Schmidt guns, including yours. All were hammerless, uningraved guns. Has anyone seen engraved Schmidt guns?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.