May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (gasgunner, Lloyd3, Roundsworth, Flintfan, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 868 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone looked into using clear Duracoat to preserve color case hardening? Seems like a much better idea than lacquer ?

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Duracoat on guns. Once it's on, it stays. It's a two part paint, probably epoxy. Some clear epoxies will yellow due to UV exposure. I don't know if it has UV inhibitors. Check with Duracoat. I wouldn't put it on an expensive gun because of its permanent nature. For that matter, nor would I have a gun lacquered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh durn, now a gunsmith has to have a paint cabinet?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just remember that good old Formby's gloss Tung oil is awfully good for protecting case colors. And it's easily removed.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are actually going to use the gun you would want something durable. Nothing is permanent no matter how much you would like it to be and lac is far from it. And tung oil is little better. I use a spray poly and even it needs a re-do every couple years.

have another day

Dr. WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know what clear Duracoat could have in it that is better than clear Polyurethane.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use regular lacquer at least it is easily removed and then reapplied.

One of the things about lacquer that is talked about by the furniture refinishers is that if it is buffed after application, it wears and spots much faster. Applying your coats (I use three at least) lightly, then waxing afterwards (three coats again, with a fairly hard wax) seems to prolong the life of the finish. Periodic reapplication of wax, depending upon usage, protects and prevents damage to to the lacquer.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Here are a few points to ponder,

The parts that are case hardened are usually made of a low-carbon steel and the hard surface is needed for wear resistance. The colors are simply a pleasant byproduct of the process, they are not the reason for the process.

The colors themselves are very thin (microns), far less than .001", while the actual hardened layer could be anywhere from .002"-.010" thick. Even when the colors are gone, the hard surface remains.

The colored "layer" is extremely fragile.
Handling, cleaning and UV exposure will cause them to fade. This is unavoidable.

Often the case hardened frame (or other part) is engraved so preserving the engraver's work must also be taken into account.

This is where lacquer shows its superiority as a "finish" for case hardened parts. Lacquer, when properly applied, will not obscure even the smallest engraving detail. This is because of the way that it shrinks as it dries. Polyurethane and any catalyzed (two-part) finish are comparatively thicker to start with and generally don't shrink when dry and could actually fill engraved details. Since most catalyzed finishes are chemical proof, removal would necessarily be by some mechanical (abrasive) means which the colors obviously would not survive.
I would never advise such a permanent finish over something something so impermanent as case hardening colors. Lacquer is instantly removable in either acetone or lacquer thinner, neither of which will harm the colors in any way. It is just as easily renewed.

I would also never consider waxing case colors. Applied over a bare colored surface, the abrasives (VERY fine but still there, especially in automotive wax) would almost instantly remove the colors. There is no reason to wax a lacquered surface unless that surface is part of your car.

Lots of people wring their hands over this, but the fact is that the colors will fade. The only precautions one can take to minimize it (while still actually using the gun) are a coat of lacquer, minimal handling of the colored area(s) and casing it when outdoors but not shooting.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey, thanks for your expert opinion. That's why you get the big bucks. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Dewey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.