Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My guess is that the "serial number" quoted on this gun is actually the smaller working number ahead of the barrel flats. I own an E.C. Schmidt gun similar to this one and it is devoid of a "normal" serial number - i.e., a number behind the trigger guard or otherwise externally visible.

Based on that, I would put this gun in the circa-1903/4 range. The mechanics of the gun - shape of the action, steel barrels, sideclips, etc. - would all correspond to a date in that area.

Best,
Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey & Ken, thank you very much for your historical cites, references and informed comments. It is a welcome learning experience to read your posts anent the E. C. Schmidt-marked 10-bore gun, as well as an opportunity to learn more about Lindner-sourced guns.

I only wish that I had more questions to ask at this time to learn even more. After I have spoken to the seller this workweek and discussed the several points raised here, there may be more questions to ask.

After consideration of the content of your posts, I am now persuaded that this particular gun must be of 1903 / 04 vintage. The sideclips seem to be a key indicator of that suggested range, especially when combined with other equally suggestive indicators, such as the presence of Krupp steel barrels, etc. Therefore, this gun cannot be classified as an antique firearm.

The lack of a serial number, other than a "working number" located ahead of another E. C. Schmidt gun's the barrel flats, is an interesting observation. I wonder if this dearth is characteristic of Schmidt guns generally? After speaking with the seller, I will report on what was learned in that discussion. If nothing else, the information obtained may be a useful addition to the information data base, and perhaps help answer future inquiries on the subject.

Again, my thanks to all for your very informative and helpful responses. With my

Best regards,

Edwardian

Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering the above, my 1st thoughts were that E.C. Schmidt being an employee of Schaefer(I wonder if Richard Schaefer & E.C. Schmidt were related, brother-in-laws or something????) had access to the stockpile of Schaefer. But the addition of thet sideclips would point to later sourcing, which I'm sure had to go thru Schoverling, Daly & Gales as I don't think Schaefer had a direct line to H.A. Lindner in Suhl. Remember this was during the tariff phase. So how would it be devoid of a serial number & be sourced thru Schoverling, Daly & Gales? Boy a peek at their ledger would be most informative.

1883 Advert/Article

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not mean to hijack your thread, but I have a hammer gun marked R F Schaefer,with R F Schaefer Boston on the rib. It has some design details similar to the Schmidt, Jakob, Thomas Golcher, and the Daly guns sourced from Germany by Lindner. This gun has a pinned forend, so maybe that means made prior to the Deeley and Edge forend design or the Anson for that matter. I don't know who R F Schaefer may have been , or if he, as I suspect, was related to the other Schaefers.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 05/27/15 08:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice addition Mr. Hallquist. R.F. was W.R.'s son. Looks like a mix of Belgian marks on sourced tubes & voluntary German process marks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, can you hazard a guess as to when this gun fits into the Schaefer time line ? In some ways the R F Schaefer guns reminds me of the Euterbrouk of Boston guns, although I'm not convinced they match time periods.

Is R F Schaefer the same person mentioned in the suicide announcement of 1909 ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think so. W.R. Schaefer had 2 sons, J.R.F. & Richard, who I think was not a critical component of W.R. Schaefer & Sons, which began as a successor to John P. Schenkl.

I've seen the Crown over script A prior & I think it was on something of Dr. McPhail's??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew I had seen the Crown over Script A & it was on a Schaefer. Seems several upper rung mechanics like Doell & Schmidt passed thru Schaefer's shop.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post306086

1871 The Daly Gun Advert noting W.R. Schaefer & Thos. L. Golcher

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
.... Seems E.C. Schmidt hung out his shingle by the early 1890s and was active till at least 1912 & for the duration he was at 15 Cornhill(Washington Street????), Ward 6, Boston, Massachusetts.
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Cornhill Street in Boston was on what's now the uphill side of the City Hall Plaza along the several-block-long curve of Cambridge Street near its junction with Court Street and Tremont Street, just downhill from the Government Center "T" station. It's an area that lost its landmarks when it was flattened in urban renewal about 40 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhill,_Boston

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm confident the S under crossed rifles surmounted by the VC denotes effort by V.C. Schilling of Suhl & I wonder if those O/0 below that accompany it. Then I'd guess the H.S. to be for Heinrich Schilling so now I'm puzzled if the Crown over script A is a Belgian and what effort was applied. V.C. Schilling of Suhl order a gesteck or something similar in the white & finished it for W.R. Schaefer with Daly being middle-man I'd guess.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.