April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Glenz, LGF), 248 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know ken.
There needs to be a compressible sleeve carrying the incompressible steel shot through the choke. Barrel scrubbing should be covered.
Other than maybe some kind of paper/fiber shot cup, I can't think of any products out there to address choke.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
George, on Georgia Marsh Hens, primitive weapons, you can now use a composite tennis racquet in addition to the environment friendly wooden racquet. With modern weapons, lead shot is still permitted.

Well Gil, I most likely could bag a 15 bird limit of hens on a September spring tide with a tennis racquet, but I'd need a bigger outboard motor to do it. Given that expense, I can just as easily shoot non-tox when they require it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really wish we'd quit referring to substitute metals as "no tox" or something similar. It's as if we agree and have joined lockstep with the dubious science that claims lead is the worst evil ever to plague civilization. Damnit!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, you are absolutely right. Thanks for bringing up that unfortunate phrase.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I really wish we'd quit referring to substitute metals as "no tox" or something similar.

Joe I agree with you 100%; tell me what you'd prefer to call other than lead shot and I'll probably go with it...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

OTLS. "other than lead shot".

As for toxicity, no one recommends a steady diet of tungsten. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unobtanium, so good it makes you quit hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll tell you what is toxic: it's the sight of birds wounded with substitutes staggering off to die just out of sight. Oh well, look at the bright side, those who use it get a lot more shooting than some of us who chose ethics over legality.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Larry,

I'd say you're right. The WMA guy said that they were classified as Migratory Waterfowl. It looks like I've been unintentionally violating the reg, albeit only for a day or two a year. I believe you can still use lead for Woodcock though....

Easy to do, Ken. Iowa doesn't put a lot of emphasis on the nontox requirement for snipe and rail. Woodcock: yes, you can still use lead, as long as you're not in an area where nontox is required for everything. But you do need to pay the state migratory bird fee, although you don't need a federal duck stamp.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mergus
Hi Again....if your cyl bore gun does what I think it will with those steel loads, it'll probably pattern tighter than what you expect from a cyl choke. Steel shot doesn't deform going through cone-barrel-choke, so when it comes out the muzzle, it's usually more of an improved cyl choke. One last thing, from one who has used a bolt gun jump shooting, watch the looks on your buddies face(s) as you load the clip into the bottom of the gun. the look of surprise is pretty good smile

Mergus

Thanks.

This is the answer. I'll use my Mossberg. It'll be nice to get the old girl "back in service" and honor the memory of my Grandfather as well.

I agree, the anti-lead issue is of dubious science and is mainly an anti-hunting and therefore an anti-firearms issue. From now on, I'll use the OTLS designation.

So much for my Hollenbeck Grade 1, with the light frame size, being my "New Snipe Gun". It'll just have to be my Grouse gun instead..

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/23/15 10:38 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.