May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sandlapper, PALUNC, fallschirmjaeger, Jtplumb, smlekid, 1 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,659
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

We shouldn't be too hard on the original gunsmith, after all, without him,we wouldn't have the chance to see Dewey's fine work.I have also noticed over the years that the people that call others the worst names( idiot, imbecile, bubba)are the ones that don't do anything themselves, yet expect miracles right now, and almost free.Furthermore, often the root cause of the problem was the complainer himself.While not a gunsmith, I have friends that are and they have their own war stories of stunts the customers pull. We should just be happy to be able to see fine work from people like Dewey.
Mike

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
We shouldn't be too hard on the original gunsmith, after all, without him,we wouldn't have the chance to see Dewey's fine work.I have also noticed over the years that the people that call others the worst names( idiot, imbecile, bubba)are the ones that don't do anything themselves, yet expect miracles right now, and almost free.Furthermore, often the root cause of the problem was the complainer himself.While not a gunsmith, I have friends that are and they have their own war stories of stunts the customers pull. We should just be happy to be able to see fine work from people like Dewey.
Mike

Mike,

The name-calling was my lame attempt at humor (I should stick with what I know).
After reading your post I realized how childish it sounded and the original post has been edited.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I believe the first gunsmith fell into what is called a "gumption trap".

See "Zen, and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Oh, nice work, Dewey. Per usual.

Best,
Ted

Hey Ted, many years since I last saw a reference to Pirsig's wonderful book. His ideas about "quality" were a revelation to me way back then.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great set of pictures to explain what's going on Dewey. It's the kind of thing that comes to my mind when someone asks about how to loosen a frozen screw. Things can turn out a bit different than a torch and favorite penetrating oil will work on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The man that fouled it up is a gunsmif. Mr. Vicknair is gunsmith.

Thank you for posting those pictures. I was surprised at the difficulty and complexity of replacing that screw and striker disc. It was very interesting to me to see how things like that are actually done. I will remember this post the next time I look at a gunsmith's invoice for fixing one of my old brown guns.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I kept telling a certain someone, who shall go nameless, that the best gunsmiths are on this board. Another example of how good they really are.

Thanks for the clear and concise narrative. Excellent information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a complete novice, a post like that is beneficial in so many ways. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey has worked on one of my Foxes which another gunsmif totally trashed and he did perform a miracle. He's the only gunsmith I'll let touch one of my guns.

Thanks Dewey for taking the time to post this and others in the past.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes it seem that you on your side of the pond have the same "knowledgeable" gunsmiths as we do on ours .The number of time I have seen this exact same thing . Discs can be very tight and every one on occasion has had some damage occur when taking them out usualy in the form of stretched key holes due to the disc being to soft and/or the key holes being to shallow . Not a bad idea to clean them out and deepen very slightly with an appropriate sized drill first if possible ,All my keys are about a foot long big handled and with a parallel for a spanner to give extra purchase .I also make them with longer prongs to get maximum grip. Many commercially bought keys are to short in overall length and prong length IMHO.
But that's still no excuse for incompetence .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even worse yet I am an amateur "gunsmif," but the difference is I know when the gun needs to go on the big brown truck and travel to someone (such as Mr. Vicknair) who is not.

CHAZ

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.