April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, 67galaxie, LeFusil, 4 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

yup, that's a Spanish gun. sick An acquired taste I guess, but as long as you're happy looking at it...

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

Hey, is that a 7-pin 578? Oh...I didn't think so.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I thought the topic was Spanish guns, Ted . . . but we're also talking about the W&S 700, which ain't Spanish. Which seems to broaden the topic somewhat. But then you seem to want to limit it to Uggies. Which way would you like to go?

[/color]We were talking boxlocks, Larry. A Darne really isn't a boxlock. I shouldn't have to tell anyone that.[color:#FF0000]

I don't hang around those auction sites much, Ted. Maybe you don't either. But neither of those guns has actually SOLD for the opening bid. And they carry additional costs of $35-40. So depending on what happens, they're quite likely to go for closer to $800 than they are to the $400 you paid for yours.

[/color]One is in MN, Larry. For what it is worth, it has been there a long time. If I was really interested, I'd see if he was willing to come down a few bucks for a face to face, and not have the shipping costs. I thought I said that already.[color:#FF0000]

Good choice to have strikers made by Cole Haugh. Much better than Joe the local lathe man. You recall turn-around time on getting them?

[/color]Cole Haugh did a bunch of work to the gun for me, and I specifically told him I was in no hurry. Might not be fair to mention he had it for a little while, maybe three months or so. I made new strikers for the Tobin, however, and it was simple. So, I guess somedays I'm Joe the lathe man, and it has worked out OK, so far. The two year striker project was on a 700, that has an integral striker/tumbler. It is a bit more complex than two little firing pins. I thought I said that already.[color:#FF0000]

I have no wish to become one of the world's leading Spanish gun experts, Ted. But you seem to be defending Kyrie's depth of knowledge and assessments of Spanish doubles . . . when what he posted in the way of used bargains consisted mostly of a small flock of turkeys. Under a blanket definition of "VG to new". Yikes. And we're still looking for solid evidence on those pre-WWI guns. And on 7-pin Arrieta 578's, from some guys who seem to know those guns pretty well.

[/color]I've got no dog in that fight, Larry. Like I said, the only Spanish stuff I care about is entry level Uggie boxlocks. Kyrie was the one who explained the tax that caused Spanish doubles to end up here, all over the auction sites a few years past. If you guys want to argue about how many pins a lock has, feel free. But, don't expect me to sit here waiting with baited breath like some guys do, waiting for him to make a mistake, when I only follow what are generalities of the gun trade from Spain, that mostly concern Uggies. Kyrie has been spot on on a lot of the things that I was interested in. Now, if I could just get him to find me a 16 gauge Uggie, with 28" barrels, for the same price as I paid for my 12.[color:#FF0000]

But if I wanted a solid beater for not a lot of money, I'd consider an Uggie 30 too. Wouldn't consider a W&S 700. Too much money. However, if I wanted to hunt pheasants or prairie grouse, walking long distances, I'd likely vote for the lighter Brit gun. I've owned a couple 700's in the 6 1/4# range (28" barrels), good triggers, no function problems--other than the fact I did not shoot them all that well. I think most Uggies with the same specifications will likely weigh half a pound more on average.

[/color]Like I said, Larry, my Uggie is 6 lbs, 7ozs or so. It isn't heavy, Keith's is even lighter, but, has 26" barrels. I have a bunch of old ammunition that I inherited, and most is high brass stuff my Dad bought years ago. The only good thing about it, is, it was free, and I will stoke the Uggie with it. I keep the gun to do things I wouldn't regularly do to my better guns, although that Darne has seen some high brass Federal 1 1/4oz pheasant loads in the years I've had it, as has the Silver Snipe. I'd just as soon not feed those loads to the real light 12s, however.[color:#FF0000]

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall looking at a new Zabala a few years back. I could see daylight between the receiver and the head of the stock. Can't get that with a W&S 700 either. And we're still in search of the elusive 7 pin 578, and Spanish guns over a century old still in regular use.

Ted, we can go back and forth on tales of repair, how long they took, etc. I also told you about a Sauer I had repaired--same deal as a W&S 700, hammer and striker all one piece--and I got it back in like 2 months, not 2 years. More complicated? Yes . . . but gunsmiths charge by the hour, so it's just a question of how much time they have to devote to the project. They're going to make as much money per hour, no matter the job. I've heard of repairs like that taking a couple years, but have never experienced anything close to it myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
For all I know, maybe you can see daylight on my Uggie, too. Wood is a natural product, and a stock that fit perfectly 50 or a 100 years past may not fit perfectly anymore. And that includes English guns too. The thing is, I didn't pay for best gun fit of the stock on my gun, and won't care when I'm out in the rain or snow with it, or crash through the ice on a beaver dam I'm crossing (I did that once, and I was carrying a way nicer gun than the Uggie).

The minutia about sidelock pins on the Spanish guns I will happily leave to you guys. In the hard, cold, light of day, I think the boxlock was a pretty good improvement over the sidelock, which, was just a hammer gun with the hammers inside.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted--I doubt you can see daylight . . .but maybe. However, the Zabala in question was a NEW gun, not used. No excuse for piss poor fit like that on a new gun. You will find Brit guns with daylight like that, but not new . . . and I've never seen a W&S 700 with that particular issue. They're all post-WWII guns, so not all that old. And they're a lot nicer than your basic Spanish boxlock extractor gun. Which is one good thing about buying higher grade used guns: They're less likely to have been rode hard and put away wet.

The sidelock/boxlock debate could go on forever. One advantage to the hand detachable sidelock: You can remove the guts, without tools, in the event the gun gets wet and you want to make sure stuff on the inside isn't rusting. Probably one reason the Brits made so many of them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because I have never seen Bigfoot does not mean that he does not exist. In fact I am convinced thousands of Bigfoot's are alive and well - right along with Abominable snowman and green Martians.

I have a brother and he has a friend who has a great uncle, (twice removed), and declared criminally insane - but that fellow says he has seen these things (Bigfoot, Abominable Snowman and Martians) and if he has seen them then that is good enough for me.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.