Sidelock

accuratereloading.com

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken-

AR is what folks over at http://www.accuratereloading.com call the board. GLenn will ocassionally post some of his hack work over there. THere has even been a "Len Hurst" post there every now and then.

PeteM-

Is there a picture of this rifle posted anywhere? I looked in my Winfer and Kirton books but could not find it.

In closer inspection of this rifle, my mind keeps going back to the recent thread about artistic balance. THis rifle is close to having it-nice but not over the top wood, pretty engraving in good proportions to the rifle, wood work and checkering that matches well with the engraving. If only the metal work was a little better...

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been trying to be nice to Glenn when he posts the nice work, but it was just killing me to have to compliment him like that.

But he gets the last laugh...because he knows he can do things with metal that I can't

skunk out
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marc Stokeld
But he gets the last laugh...because he knows he can do things with metal that I can't

Oh, I get the last laugh alright, but that isn't why. It has more to do with voting next February...

Pete:

I would like to see that photo as well. The #3 rifle is in fact the very one that the Earle action is copied from.

Regards,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, hoof and mouth strikes again.

It is on page 457 of "Boys' Single Shot Rifles" by James J. Grant published in 1967, Library of Congress number 67-18139.

In Chapter 13, "F. Wesson - C.B. Holden - C.O. Wood" he has pictures of just about all of F. Wesson's designs. He also includes copies of the patents held by Wesson. He goes on for about 30 pages about Wesson. He states that serial #3 is his personal gun. He also has 2 pages devoted to the proper reloading tools for this gun with pictures of same. He spends a good deal time talking about F. Wesson's unique cartridges. He gives a short biography of F. Wesson and even quotes from his obituary.

Sorta got the idea he was a little taken with F. Wesson. From some of his pictures it is obvious the originals were engraved, but not enough detail in the photos to even comment on, which is a pity. Apparently Wesson held a patent for a double rifle, but Grant does not picture one nor even mentions it.

I will try and scan these pictures and post them here. It may take a few days...

I have developed a fascination for single shot 22lr recently. Grant is an excellent source, as he shows some rifles that are most likely buried deep in private collections today. He has pictures of every version of the Stevens Favorite, which is the only way to even approximate a date for these guns.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM
From some of his pictures it is obvious the originals were engraved, but not enough detail in the photos to even comment on, which is a pity. Pete

Wesson Engraving Click Here

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

DANG! I forgot about the vote next year. Have I told you how talented and good looking you are altely?

MP & Pete

Thanks for the info and pics!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, Nice job of reproducing the forend panels! When I first saw yours I thought it a novel approach. Seeing the original, I like them even better!

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP --- what is the ser.# of the Wesson you posted ? I don't think there were more than 33 made based on the highest ser. # that has surfaced so far. Steve used ser. # 3 as the pattern he took measurements from and has since returned it to the old man who owned & lent it to him. The rifle was in good mech. shape but surface metal was worn and forend missing.

Steve has started making the Wesson #1 mid-range action. I think it will be on hold until he can catch up with the long-range actions. As you know, these actions were made from bronze and were roundish. Steve is going to use the same materials as in the long-range and will offer the sction with the flat side similar to a mod. 94 or highwall. Rest assured it will be equal to or exceed the quality he invested in his first action.

Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if youall don't take the cake!! I mean, here you get all hett up over a gun with a muleear hammer - haven't youall heared about hammerless guns?? It's got a gunarlley wood stock with all kinds of colors instead of a nice uniform black sinthedik plastick one. Guess you couldn't affort a white line spazer recoil pat so you just cut somethin outta a tin can. And that action!! Couldn't get uniform colors on it so I guess you just took the ole ozzy-sittaline torch to her, huh? Why'd you let someone scratch on her with sumptin sharp?? Couldn't you buff that out?? Haven't heard of stainlesssteel for barrels either, huh? Say, you really otter make up yer minds which shape that barrel is supposed to be afore you start and get haff way through it, too. I'm a fergivn man, but puttin sights on a stock??? Jez who do you think yer foolin?? An don't go trying to offer it to, neither, cuz I know a rifle when I see one.

Wow!! You guys do good work.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.