April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (KDGJ, CJ Dawe, barrel browner, Marks_21, Ian Forrester, fab500), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,275
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Charles Boswell underlever hammer gun with Damascus barrels I purchased at the Amoskeag auction arrived today and I'm interested in learning anything anyone would be able to provide me. It does have the 126 Strand Street, London address on it, but the serial number on the barrels, receiver, forend and lever are all 39XX

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can not trace any records for a serial # in the 3900 range. Apparently the only existing records start some time after that number.
Best guess (from Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers) is that some guns were started at the original Edmonton address but finished at The Strand which would be post 1883 or 1884 when serial numbers were up around the 12000 mark.
The proof marks might give you a better indication

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Using Vol 1 of Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers it has Proofs L2, which is very faint, L3 (I think) and beneath L3 the letters CL.

Above the L2 proof it has 12 and there MAY be another proof on the left barrel, but even under bright light and a magnifying glass, nothing could be made out.

The barrel flats are maked only with C.Boswell, the rib is marked "Charles Boswell Maknr (Maker?? although it is clearly an 'n') 126 Strand Street, London W.C.

There are no markings on the watertable other then the serial number.

While I remain curious about the history of the gun, in the end, I like it and that's the most important thing.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never heard of The Strand being called Strand Street but its many years since I have seen a Boswell gun of any description so perhaps that is how they were marked.
If you like the gun thats the main thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Jones underlever, non-rebounding 12 back action hammer gun SN 2296. The rib reads "Charles Boswell Maker Edmonton London N." The non-rebounding hammers pre-date Stanton rebounding locks. The wedge forend predate the Deeley-Edge forend of 1874. Later guns I have seen used Stanton patent locks and Deeley-Edge patent latches. I place my gun in the early 1870s. It is the earliest Boswell I've seen.

I also have a big Boswell 10 ga. sidelock hammer 32" Damascus. It has the same address on the rib. The serial number is 7016. That is later than your gun, but remember made and sold dates could vary widely. My 10 has a proud engraving on the top lever, "Patent Cam Direct DBL Bolt 3718-1877" I assume this is the 3718th use of the Purdey patent double bolt in 1877. Patents had protection for 14 years. I guess it could also be read as the 3718th use of the patent in some year up until the patent expired in 1891. It also has patent use on the forend latch, Deeley & Edge (protected 1874-1888) Perhaps our UK friends can clarify. I am taking the Boswell 10 to the Southern to compete in the hammer 10.

I also have a very old label:
C. Boswell
Gun and Pistol Maker
Upper Edmonton,
Near London

Chris Batha has Boswell records starting about 1899. He should be at the Southern as well.

Hope it helps,
Joe in Charlotte

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe in Charlotte
I have a Jones underlever, non-rebounding 12 back action hammer gun SN 2296. The rib reads "Charles Boswell Maker Edmonton London N." The non-rebounding hammers pre-date Stanton rebounding locks. The wedge forend predate the Deeley-Edge forend of 1874. Later guns I have seen used Stanton patent locks and Deeley-Edge patent latches. I place my gun in the early 1870s. It is the earliest Boswell I've seen.

Chris Batha has Boswell records starting about 1899. He should be at the Southern as well.

Hope it helps,
Joe in Charlotte

That was very helpful, mine also has the wedge forend and non-rebounding hammers. That makes my Boswell almost certainly the oldest gun own.

Living in the People's Republic of Connecticut, I'm thinking the Spring Southern is a bit too far for me to attend, especially since I've just spend quite a bit of disposable money picking up 3 British hammer guns in the past 6 weeks or so. No more Internet auctions for me for a while!!!

Last edited by Chantry; 04/09/15 05:07 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.