May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (PALUNC, Lloyd3, RWG, AGS, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 266 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,492
Posts545,326
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not looking for a cure...I'm doing what one of you mentioned and peering through my gun safe to see which hammerless firearms I'm willing to part with!!!!....(to acquire more hammer guns....naturally!). My sort of collection is mostly Jones Underlever or top lever with one Lefaucheux. I wouldn't be averse to a side lever, just haven't found one that trips my trigger.....yet.

I have seen some what appeared to be decent 10 bores for around a grand. My problem is there's either a kiplauf or Scheutzen rifle at the head of the line. When the search begins in earnest it will have to have Damascus barrels.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sharps4590
I'm not looking for a cure...I'm doing what one of you mentioned and peering through my gun safe to see which hammerless firearms I'm willing to part with!!!!....(to acquire more hammer guns....naturally!). My sort of collection is mostly Jones Underlever or top lever with one Lefaucheux. I wouldn't be averse to a side lever, just haven't found one that trips my trigger.....yet.

I have seen some what appeared to be decent 10 bores for around a grand. My problem is there's either a kiplauf or Scheutzen rifle at the head of the line. When the search begins in earnest it will have to have Damascus barrels.

For better or worse, I see to have settled on English hammered shotguns. I wouldn't mind a nice drilling, but rifle barrel tends to be chambered in some obscure caliber and the prices are higher then I would like for a gun that real serves no practical purpose for me since I don't hunt or shoot clay birds on a regular basis.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chantry

For better or worse, I see to have settled on English hammered shotguns.

Stop right there and never get involved with English rifles.....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB has a good point there. One was all I could afford so I crossed the channel for the same quality for less money.

Reference the drillings I rather like the obscure cartridges. That's why I bought most of mine, no one had ever heard of the cartridge they were chambered to...but I admit to be a bit twisted. However, those are mostly older drillings. There is a pile of them out there in common cartridges: 7 X 57R, 8 X 57R, 9.3 X 74R, 9.3 X 72R is readily available also. Occasionally one is seen in 30-30 WCF or 25-35 WCF and even 22 Hornet.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are looking for a drilling chambered in an "American" caliber, you might keep an eye out for a nice Prussian Daly drilling (SD&G made both hammer and hammerless model). Schoverling, Daly, and Gales sourced drilling from Suhl (almost exclusively from Sauer), but chambered them in calibers familiar to US sportsmen - from 25-35 WCF to to 45-70.

It is sometimes amusing to see an auction catalog description of a Prussian Daly drilling where the catalog author assumes what he is looking at is an obscure Eurpoean caliber when, in fact, he has a 30-30 WCF in his hands.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 05/19/15 10:03 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.