May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, L. Brown, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 195 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,491
Posts545,323
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 8 Bore: http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ma...58-c-65b44fe829

The 4 bore: http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ma...59-c-c5f44229ba

I'm glad the current bids are already to high to prevent me from wanting too bid on them.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chantry, your tag line says it all! I have been addicted to hammer guns for around the last ten years. I am an addict and we probably need a "Hammer Gun" Help Group. First in the line is a nice Edward Whistler 12 ga. Damascus back action. Latest acquisition is a Greener 10 ga. Laminated bar action. I corrupted a good friend and he is also addicted now. Most of the time on the clay's course we are using English hammer guns. Last season hunts saw us fielding the hammer guns. I don't think there is a cure once you get bitten! Knees get weak and hearts go mushy and you start thinking what to sell to raise the necessary asking price to be a caretaker for another one. Well, it does make life interesting!

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm up to 4, two of which are arriving later today. Currently I have Isaac Hollis and Sons 10g and a W&C Scott & Sons in 16g that someone did a nice job on doing a partial restoration on.

I'm a barbarian and use the I. Hollis at cowboy shoots sometimes, something all of them will see use at a couple of times a year. I'll itching to try the W&C Scott at trap with light blackpowder loads.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am up to 5 and enjoy all of them! For Black Powder loads: 2&3/4 chambers use Federal paper with two and a half or three drams of GOEX 2 FG, 1 or 1&1/8 oz. shot and fold crimp. 2&1/2 use trimmed Federal paper with the same charges and the same shot amount and roll crimper. Wad column is hard nitro cards with fiber or felt fillers and a overshot card for the roll crimped loads. 16ga. loads is plastic hull. two and a half drams 3 FG, 7/8 oz. shot and roll crimp (New primed Cheddite hulls)nitro cards and felt filler. 10ga. uses 4 or 4&1/4 drams of GOEX 2FG, 1&1/8 or 1&1/4 oz. shot, (New primed Cheddite hulls cut to 2&7/8 inch) cards and fillers finished with a roll crimp. This is great fun and shooters are really surprised when any of these loads touch off! I usually shoot 2 stations with light smokeless loads to clean out the tubes (or you can just brush) during a round of 50 clays. Having the maximum amount of fun is a requirement!

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been using the MagTech 2 1/2" brass hulls for the 16g with 60grs (by volume) of 2F and 1 oz of shot using fiber and overshot cards and Elemer's wood glue to seal the mouth. I've been using plasticfor the 10 and the I. Hollis gets 60grs of 2f or coarser
also with fiber wads and those are roll crimped.

The 10g loads for my modern hammerless double is 120grs of 2F or coarser and 1 1/2 oz of shot. When I light that off, everybody notices and sometimes I fire both barrels at once. Inside and around the some of the building props both barrels at once is.........rather noticeable grin crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

anyone know the hammer price on them?

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 4-Bore went for $14,950 and the 8 bore went for $13,800

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welp, that easily put both of them out of my play pen. I admit to lusting for a 10 or 8 bore but don't believe it will ever come to fruition.

Eric, you & Chantry aren't helping any. Eric, as far as a "help group" for hammer gun addiction I believe it would be a waste of time....unless your intent was a "help group" to help us find more hammer guns!!!

I've loved them since I was a kid...a long time ago. I was going to list them but stopped counting at an even dozen...and that doesn't count muzzleloaders, real muzzleloaders.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, THERE IS NO CURE for a hammer gun addiction. But a help group would be a nice place to gather and talk about and show off the latest acquisition! At a dozen, you have me beat but there is still time and there are still nice hammer guns waiting to be found. Love cocking my own hammers and they just look so damn neat on the course or in the field! I try to get different action and bolting types just to make it interesting. Although, I am quite fond of the back action, side lever or under levers. They have that race horse kind of style.

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sharps4590
Welp, that easily put both of them out of my play pen. I admit to lusting for a 10 or 8 bore but don't believe it will ever come to fruition.

Eric, you & Chantry aren't helping any. Eric, as far as a "help group" for hammer gun addiction I believe it would be a waste of time....unless your intent was a "help group" to help us find more hammer guns!!!

I've loved them since I was a kid...a long time ago. I was going to list them but stopped counting at an even dozen...and that doesn't count muzzleloaders, real muzzleloaders.

I'm not trying to help, I am trying to enable grin

And a 10 gauge shotgun is doable, patience and some careful shopping can get you a 10 gauge for under a $1000

Last edited by Chantry; 05/16/15 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.