May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, Ian Forrester, old colonel), 688 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

He also liked Darnes, Ted. Something else you have in common. (And French guns in general, for that matter.)

But you're coming down a bit hard on Brister and McIntosh. Both talked about how to tighten patterns. Brister made very prominent mention of the buffered loads, which were relatively new when he wrote his shotgunning book. McIntosh talked about varying pattern density based on shotshell selection. But I'm pretty sure that neither of them tinkered with reloads as much as Zutz did.

At an outdoor writers' get-together a number of years ago, I met another Wisconsin shotgunner and writer named Tom Ceretto. Zutz had already passed away by that time, but I figured that Ceretto must have known Zutz. "Zutz, that SOB!" he said. "I tied him for the Wisconsin 28ga skeet championship, and he refused to participate in the shootoff. I ended up winning, but I wanted to BEAT him!"

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Larry,
He was shooting a Merkel when I met him. But, I think he was the kind of guy that would have shot whatever worked best for him.
Never met Mr. Ceretto. Hopefully he was describing an event that happened in the 60s or 70s-Don was a pretty old looking guy when I met him in the late 1980s.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

He did like French guns, but loved the guns made by Georges Granger.

"The Granger, in fact are so well built, are one of the few doubles which can appear delightfully delicate and still withstand the rigors of pass shooting. Scaled down to 16 or 20 gauge, it is one of the most exquisite doubles one could dream of owning and handling."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still refer to my copy of Zutz's book which has some very good information in it. He was not a collector, and bemoaned the mystique(and resulting high prices)of vintage American doubles.
Probably no one during that era did as much experimentation with shotguns, chokes, patterns, and shooting as did Uncle Robert Brister. I have all his books and still refer to "Shotgunning, the Art & Science". I would have enjoyed meeting Zutz, but will always treasure the memories of shooting many times with Uncle Robert, especially the day I drove him around in a golf cart during a sporting clays tournament. Any success I have shooting a shotgun is a result of Bob's helpful advice and world of knowledge. I only wish I could have acquired one of his guns.

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: GaryW
He was not a collector, and bemoaned the mystique(and resulting high prices)of vintage American doubles.

Sometimes "mystique" is all a gun has going for it. I can think of at least one big-name American classic double that, if looked at strictly from an engineering/design/build quality standpoint, would be avoided like the plague.

Collectors may not be interested in those particular areas of their chosen favorite gun and that's obviously fine. No one should ever have to justify their personal preference in anything.

The flip side of that is that collectors should not take it personally if someone points out actual facts about a particular gun that are in conflict with the collector's perception.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Larry,
He was shooting a Merkel when I met him. But, I think he was the kind of guy that would have shot whatever worked best for him.
Never met Mr. Ceretto. Hopefully he was describing an event that happened in the 60s or 70s-Don was a pretty old looking guy when I met him in the late 1980s.

Best,
Ted

Merkel OU, Ted? I know one of those was one of his favorite guns. Yes, I think his days of skeet shooting championships would go back a ways, although I think I recall reading that he won a SC shoot or two when that game was just getting started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the book on my shelf - and enjoy it. I can't agree with him on Darnes (I have one and can't really get on with it), but I agree 100% on Merkel o/us. The sidelock o/u Merkels handle just beautifully and I can fully appreciate how he liked those.

My view from this side of the pond is that perhaps his tastes in guns were more 'European'? I have in mind lighter built guns intended to be fast handling and use light (say 1 oz in 12 bore) loads)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Stopped by the ex-wife's house to pick up some gear my son needed and she handed me a pound of some Starbucks Komodo coffee and The Double Shotgun by Don Zutz. Said she saw it at a used book store and thought of me.

I know what I think of the coffee. Does anyone have any thoughts about the book. It's the "Revised and Expanded" 1985 edition

You also need first edition. Zutz was honest in his assessments and all his books are worth owning. He has very good discussion stress forces on double gun actions and bolting systems devised to deal with them. When I was interested in shotguns I had half a dozen of his books including both editions of Double Shotgun.

Off topic, but if I was to pick one book on shotguns it would be Shotguns & Cartridges for game & clays by Gough Thomas edited by Nigel Brown.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jag,

Hardly off-topic; Gough Thomas is wonderful reading, any of his titles. He was well read for the same reason Zutz was among people w/interest in shotgunning .. common sense, based on their own findings; neither were just writers. Same may be said of Brister and a few others that were inquisitive, opinionated [but not so much they could not accept being wrong when it proved so] and willing to share their observations w/the rest of us.

I liked Zutz for a lot of dif. reasons, but he gets credit in my mind for today's lasting concept of better handicap patterns w/Green Dot vs. the faster powders.

I wasn't real happy when he told the world about the VL&D or Antoine(sp?)guns being mostly Francottes. It was a fairly well kept 'secret' until then.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple paperbacks from Zutz to which I turn fairly often: "Grand Old Shotguns" and "Shotgun Stuff". Both compilations of his articles in Shotgun Sports. "GOS" covers a lot of guns that you won't read much about elsewhere--except maybe occasionally on this BB. The Morrone OU, for example. "SS" covers . . . well, what the title says it covers. Lots of interesting bits and pieces.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.