April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (earlyriser, eightbore, Argo44, Karl Graebner, dogon, 1 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,130
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My latest addition to the American doubles collection arrived today. An American Arms Co., Semi-Hammerless, 12ga., 30" damascus barrels. It has 14-1/4" LOP to a Mershon Co., Inc. White Line recoil pad. I was wanting an example that was mechanically complete so I could document the mechanism. The bore is a bit rough, but action locks tight and on face. The engraving was not listed on the sales description or pictures, so a bonus. I took a few pics after wiping it down and between raindrops.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing. First one I've seen with any engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun! Thanks for showing it. Now I have a good reason to buy another shotgun, to fill that gap between hammer and hammerless guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If as it appears each lock has to be cocked separately it is quite easy to see why that design never really Caught On. Depending upon whether one is right or left handed one of those locks is going to be quite difficult to cock.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to see a picture of the hammer on the inside of the plate. Looks like there is no problem of the top lever going past 6 o'clock with that gun.

Bob

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing. First one I've seen with any engraving.

Dave,

First with engraving for Me also. It really nice taking it out of the box to find a tight action and engraving. If the bores were just a bit smoother I would be tempted to throw some poly-wads through her.

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a couple more pics to show Top and Bottom view.

I will try to remove the sideplate and show a view of the Hammer tomorrow.

Thanks,

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple , singles and doubles, and have never seen engraving . They are interesting. Some I have seen have blued barrels, although they appear to be Twist or similar. What do you think about your engraved gun ?

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
I have a couple , singles and doubles, and have never seen engraving . They are interesting. Some I have seen have blued barrels, although they appear to be Twist or similar. What do you think about your engraved gun ?

Daryl,
There were only two photos on the auction site. Full LH & RH shots from across the room, so I didn't know what to expect, although an email had let me know the wood was sound and tight. Looking at the engraving I am impressed. The geometry and spacing on the border pattern is excellent. The shadowing in the scroll is perfection although minimal. Very well done. I have to agree that the barrels appear blued but no screws are in the lower rib as normal with a reblue.
Do you know if these Semi-Hammerless models were case colored? There is little sign of any on this frame inside or out. What looks like maybe old case I think is dried oil and varnish from years of storage.
What was the last year of production for this double?
Can you identify the Damascus pattern?

Bob,
Here are pics of the hammer and you sure correct about the top lever staying at center. The hammers are rebounding and there are no return springs on the firing pins. The plates look to have started out as a casting.

Daryl and Dave,
I am impressed with the overall fit and finish(time considered) of this model. Also, the design. The plate screws have dual function. The front screw acting to hold the mainspring bend in position and the top screw retaining the firing pins. The rear screw appears to act as a stop for the sear but I am not sure if it actually does. What is your guess of the "2" stamp in the frame by the mainspring? Grade?

I was hoping to get a complete gun to fill a hole in my Am. Arms Co. line. I now have one each of the Fox Side-Swing, Whitmore boxlock and the single shot & double Semi-Hammerless. Am I done or is there another model I am unaware of?

Thank you for looking,

John

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One more pic that shows the short throw to the cocked position.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.