May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (oskar, Borderbill, Tom Shaffer, 3 invisible), 264 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,711
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time, not too long ago...I owned 13 different side by sides at the same time. All of them pretty decent guns, all of them I enjoyed shooting. Problem was finding time to shoot them all and actually enjoy them. I sold all of my doubles and started from scratch. None of these 13 shotguns had any real sentimental value, none were handed down to me, all of them were bought by me for me. When I decided to start buying doubles again, I kinda set somewhat of a simple critera for my next couple purchases. The shotguns I was going to buy were going to be used for both game and clays(very little clays..I'm primarily a bird hunter), have somewhat of a specific use/purpose in the uplands and have a certain amout of "cool" appeal. I now own four shotguns. I doubt I will ever sell any of these four. I enjoy hunting and shootig this quad very much. Two British guns and 2 French guns. They pretty much cover all of my shotgunning needs. I have a couple other shotguns too, but I dont throw them into the same category as the doubles, a 16 gauge Remington Model 11 crica 1934 and a modern Winchester Super X-2 that gets abused in the basins and Platte river here in Nebraska. These guns are all I'll ever really need. If I get a hankering for something, a craving if you will, I just open books or browse thru websites and LOOK. Every once in awhile I make it out to Reb87's place and check out his impressive collection of EVERYTHING. Anymore, I just like to LOOK :-)

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 'too many' shotguns, 'too many' rifles and way 'too much' stuff to go with them.

For now they'll stay where they are as I enjoy them more than the fast disapearing cash they would be replaced with.

For the first time ever I did set up at the last local gunshow and moved a Mini-14 a Mauser 95/96 a Sheridan .22 air rifle a Moison Nagant a couple of Thompson barrels along with a bunch of other junk.

It had to be done to make room for the AR-15 the two more AR's I am building and the ammo to shoot in them.........

Mike
bay Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I find this a very interesting question you bring up. I enjoy reading everyone’s take on where they stand.

Early in my un-educated collecting days it was keep anything and everything I acquired. Now it’s a little different. Last couple of years I have been liquidating some duplicates, some emotional buys, and of course the bad buys. It’s been a very enjoyable and learning hobby. I am still educating myself with venues like this BBS.

My interest has changed a bit over the years, but I am still all over the board as to what sparks my interest. Doubles and Magazine rifles seem to be taking up most of my time & dollars.

I have thought about when I get up in age, when to look seriously about liquidating to a manageable "collection"/"hunting arsenal".

-brian

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't get me wrong, finest piece it was. Second to none. The stock shaping/finish, barrel "blueprinting" and fit leaves Merkel in the dust. Instead of puting my $ into another dust collector I invested spare 20K into diversified portfolio, and am much ahead of the game now. What would I have today if I bought that gun? A 16k shotgun, and next year would be much the same.
Good 'ole Hank is a good choice for top gun with < top price tag. Hank along with Beesley, and Boss were the best CRAFTSMEN at PurdeyHOF. Why one can almost "hear" Col. Hawker talking to Joe Manton when you shoulder that thing. I mean, can you hear the ghost whispers?
Good 'ole Atkin, I recommend one w/o reservations.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm just now making arrangements for a couple guns to be restocked and one a complete resto. These will be keepers for me. I have only a couple decent condition vintage guns and want to either get the "project guns" done or move them. I'm thinking of concentrating on getting them done over the next few years and enjoying them while I'm young (51 this month) enough to hunt them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in a somewhat different boat. I have a long life ahead of me in gun collecting. I have some guns, not as many as I would like, but a small collection that I can be proud of. A guns go from time to time to help pay for college, but thats fine. I still manage to get a double from time to time, but its hard to justify it while my parents are spending 40K a year to put me through college.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H.
Glad to hear Jas is doing well and recovering nicely. Happy hunting with her.

Chicago, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I at one time had 13 shotguns, But one day I was talking to a local gun shop owner and he took me upstairs to show me his "collection" unbelievable guns sxs, old winchesters, german lugers, etc (no not for sale) he stated on any given day some young guy will come in with his deceased dads gun collection and pawn them for next to nothing, that was enough for me, I buy guns I will shoot, and use, I will let some other collectors guns one day end up at the pawn shop.

Chuck
I for one am glad you are still buying guns! does this mean 17 and counting? If you didn't get your e-mail it's on the way on Sat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chux is right about the kids selling Dad's pride and joy. I bought a Ruger #1 last week that way.
A good friend had a collection M1 carbines that would rival any museum. His kid took them to a show and sold them for $.25 on the dollar thinking he knew what all the variation were worth. Either educate your kids or be like my folks were:"We gave you what you needed when we were alive. Don't look for anything after we die".
I'm thinning the herd right now. Nobody needs 12 30.06's and 14 12 ga shotguns-and that's just a start.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.