March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's stamped on the toplever?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ted, did you get your question answered??
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd that it does not have the proverbial stop???? And that's the 1918 example?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes! It is! smile
and yes it does,
Just well hidden when closed

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 03/02/15 09:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

Ted, did you get your question answered??
Mike

It was 'sorta rhetorical, Mike. The gun is missing any kind of grade marking, and combines features from at least three different patent Darne designs, and at least one trick (the tab to release the opening lever) completely unique to this individual gun.
LeRoy Merz has a very similar gun listed on Guns International. Of course, there are no pictures of the flats of the barrels, or, the side of the gun where the intersting and different tab to remove the breech block would be.
Is there a school that dealers go to to learn to take photos that provide little hard information about used guns?
I wonder.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Interesting ACIER MANDRINE tube steel type. There's some patent info on the underside of the right tube.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Acier Mandrine- mandrel steel- turned on a lathe?

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was traveling in Europe for work, but I am back.
A few comments, that could be improved with the pictures:
- Fon Btee is I believe for
Fabrication Brevetee.
I.e the manufacturing process is (was) patented.
- the barrels are from the 1900 time frame indeed.
Poudre M was used until 1905 or so.
The chamber marks are in cm (6,5) and not in mm (65). I am still struggling with the exact date of change but believe it to be in that same time frame.
- "Mandrinage" refers to a test done by inserting a cone in a hole and looking for permanent expansion without cracking.
You can google "mandrinage canon" for references on that subject. The technique was used for artillery tube testing and many other parts such as nuts and railcar hooks.
In this context, it would mean that the steel used would have been tested accordingly.
The other meanings of "mandrin" are "chuck" (machine tools) and tubes used to wrap paper or fabric on. A mandrin is also used for damascus barrel manufacturing IIRC.
As for the orange, Larry, it is "mandarine".

I like that gun a lot. The "culasse" release is much nicer than the normal one.
Too bad it's been damaged...
Best regards,
WC-

Last edited by WildCattle; 03/04/15 11:40 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WC,
Hope you got to a warm part of Europe, anyway.

Thanks for the info on the barrels. There are some clues as to the guns origin, but, I was hoping for clues that led us in the direction of what model the gun actually is.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say you prefer this guns "release" as compared to the "normal" one-the "key", or, opening lever simply pulls up on a V grade, and the little tab at the back and bottom of the culasse on an R is almost invisible.

The culasse on a P is not easily removable, and requires tools to do so.

A quick review on taking down a V action Darne, for anyone who hasn't had their hand's on one this week:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=356335&page=1

I've never seen anything like it, however, and I wonder if an enterprising (and talented) gunsmith took a close look at an existing P grade gun and modified it to what we see here today? I can't think of a compelling reason to do that, but, that might not stop someone else.

Darne grade guns were well sorted in the catalogs by 1900, another mystery.

Thanks for the input, and, for keeping an eye on Larry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle

- "Mandrinage" refers to a test done by inserting a cone in a hole and looking for permanent expansion without cracking.
You can google "mandrinage canon" for references on that subject. The technique was used for artillery tube testing and many other parts such as nuts and railcar hooks.
In this context, it would mean that the steel used would have been tested accordingly.
The other meanings of "mandrin" are "chuck" (machine tools) and tubes used to wrap paper or fabric on. A mandrin is also used for damascus barrel manufacturing IIRC.
As for the orange, Larry, it is "mandarine".

Seems we're overlooking the simple here, linguistically speaking. "Mandrine" follows "acier"--which is a masculine noun. If we're suggesting that "mandrine" is an adjective, that would be wrong. It would have to be "mandrin" to agree with "acier". Thus, my guess is that "mandrine", in this case, is a proper name--like "Acier Jacob Holtzer" on a Verney-Carron. Can't say I've ever seen "Acier Mandrine" before, but the French do use a wide variety of descriptive adjectives and proper nouns to identify barrel steel.

Thanks for the correction on the orange thing, WC. That's why I put a smiley after it.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/05/15 07:02 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Easy, Larry, we were just picking on an old man. We would do that, well, because we can.

I think my wife's little Canon camera has some crud inside the lens. This is about the best I can get out of it for a view of the flats:

The only thing I've got left to add is that it isn't uncommon to find pitted bores on old French guns, and this one, old as it is, has perfect, beautiful bores.

More's the pity.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.