March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
Boxlock

Folks,
My intention now is to make new locks, from scratch, for my .360 Alex Henry double. Mine is a bar action (as opposed to the more common back action) lock gun. My plan is to produce a 3D model of the parts when I am finished. In collaboration with Reto Buehler I would hope to make these lks available to the trade. However, be patient. Reto and I still have to make a living completing our commission work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dirk Schimmel of Wy. has a place in England that will make complete locks for 2500 or so for the pair IF I understood him. I sent a PM to Larry some time ago about this but no response yet.

There were many Henry rifle with Damascus tubes. I have 2 here.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the delay. I have now responded to AkMike1's PM. Larry

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Finding the exact locks or a perfect fit of a lock would be a stroke of luck for sure. However, you might want to contact Track-of-the-Wolf and see if there is any assistance there. At least you can look at just about every lock, new made, currently available.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Nick Makinson in Omoka ONtario Canada is a cerified english gunmaker and could make locks. So could a fellow named Les Paul also in Ontario.

jsteenson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can feel your frustration!

As i see it you are left with two options.

Restore them to functionality.

Professionally Restored.

If you take your time it would be fairly straight forward to restore them to functionality.

The back action gun will be the easiest, take a couple of measurements of the inlet and look around for some lock plates that are as near as possible in size to the original inlet or bigger with similar engraving, have the makers name engraved on them and inlet them into the stock.

If you take your time and carefully select your locks its amazing how close you can get them to fit, i recently completed a similar job re locking a back action gun, one lockplate fitted with only minor fitting and alteration of the inlet and the other was slightly worse and has a 1mm gap along the top edge - which i can fix by dovetailing in a fillet.

Then simply measure the new locks for hammers and order some replacement castings.

You could achieve a functional gun for the cost of a few hours inletting and perhaps 60 in parts. The quality of how you match the engraving, quality of inletting you do, and weather or not you get the makers names engraved will determine how much of a good job you can make of it.

You could do the same with the sidelock gun but i think you will have to probably make up new lock plates which if you do your self will be a boring and tedious job, and if you pay someone else, it will likely be expensive.

To have it professionally done you could have lockplates made up to as near as possible fit the original inlet but its going to cost quite a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures or it didn't happen.. i know.

[img]http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Demonw...?sort=3&o=1[/img]

Not finished with it yet obviously, the retaining screws of the old locks were fully rusted in and had to be dug out so i'll have to let two lumps in at the rear of the locks to inlet around them properly, then they will be hidden by the checker, the small gaps around the locks will be taken up with fillet's of wood dovetailed in when i get around to it. The have to fit pinfire hammers to it, as the locks are hammer gun locks.

But finding old locks to replace the missing locks on yours will be difficult but not impossible. You could soon have it functional again. If the gun really warrented the expense and time, i would have just milled out the original inlet and inlet an entire block of wood into the gap and fit locks from scratch.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.