May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Salopian), 915 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#39489 05/14/07 11:34 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there a name for the additional metal plate on the side panels? How often do you come across guns iwth this feature? Does it serve any purpose, or is it just for more engraving area?

Thanks

Alex

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know what it is called, but it sure beats the wood screw or carriage bolt we often see thru the head of a Parker Bros., Ansley H. Fox, Remington or Ithaca!!!

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

false side plate to add room for more engraving

mc #39510 05/14/07 02:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Dummy lock plate' or 'false lock plate'. Very common on Hellis boxlocks like this one, which is really just an 'ornamental side-plate' as it wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it were a lock plate for one second!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Guns bearing this adornment are usually referred to as sideplates, very common and found on most English boxlocks by the better makers in Birmingham and the provinces, used to showpiece the engravers art and to give the impression of a higher grade.Beretta and Guerini are doing it today.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It also goes a long way in keeping the wood from splitting a the head of the stock as so often found on some box locks

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever they're called, I put them in a different category than the standard sideplates you see on modern guns, which are larger and make more of an effort to look like a sidelock. No one could mistake this for a sidelock, and I don't much care for the technique (to the extent one can dislike anything about a nice old side-by-side). IMHO, the gun would look better without anything on the panels but oil finish. 100% scroll coverage on the frame just wasn't enough to say "fancy"? They must not have been too popular, as few makers followed the Hellis example. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Riffing on Two Triggers' post; the Hellis is interesting in that it's not a false sideplate, but desite it's honest design, it's unattractive.

But even the wood panels found on boxlocks are vestigal sidelocks. So when considering the stock design for a boxlock, I thought the boxlock should be true to itself, and not wish it was a sidelock with panels, or even more annoying; panels and drop points. But during the stock work, I found the panels a necessity for the graceful transition of shapes taking place between the stock head and the hand.

Obviously, some rounded action boxlocks don't have panels because the action helps with the transition.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting, I didn't think that it would be called side plates because the two are unattached. The metal to metal fit is pretty bad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The sideplates on Cogswell & Harrison's boxlocks (which, at least on some models, are "split" somewhat like the Hellis pictured--but more attractively, IMO) are referred to in C&H literature as "ornamental strengthening plates".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Larry's explination. They sure don't look anything like a sidelock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The sideplates on my Cogswell and Harrison Avant Tout crossover twelve bore are fitted as closely as if they were Holland or Purdey sidelocks thank you, except that the screws and pins are not there. They are gracefully curved to the right around the crossover wood and nicely engraved in almost full coverage of medium scroll. The pictured gun is a Hellis embellishment that is not often found on the guns of any other maker. Everyone should be noted for something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the plates Flush with the rest?
I thought some makers "Sunk" the plates into the wood..as in sunken sideplates.I've never seen one in the flesh, but I thought I saw one in a Boothroyd book that sure looked sunken in lower ...perhaps it was the angle of the pic though
Francottes did a lovely job of the sideplates though,eh?
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a very handsome old gun. We went through the "sideplate/false-sideplate" discussion not long ago. IMO, they are correctly called sideplates. They really are sideplates, not "false" sideplates. False would be to call it a sidelock. I don't think they add anything to the gun pictured but it is a good looker nevertheless, I'd be proud to own.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd suggest that the plate would be likely called a bolster in this case. The size of the screw clearly removes it from a decorative function and puts it right there with a strengthening function.. Maybe a pigeon gun? I vote for that. Does it have a safety? Sure wouldn't be necessary for those puny Brit gamebird loads. Not in a Hellis at any rate.

Or maybe the stock split first.

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

You see those little plates on quite a few guns from Hellis. I think I've seen almost the same thing from at least one other Brit maker, although I can't remember which.

Some of the Coggies have conventional, one piece plates. Others have a visible "split" in them. But in either case, except for the "split", they look a lot more like a sidelock than what you see on the Hellis. But having "authentic"-looking plates isn't necessarily the mark of a high dollar gun. V. Bernardelli did some very nice ones on their Roma series guns, including false pins that really made them look like a sidelock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the advent of modern high tech glues and adhesives, it should be a cinch for me to make my Coggie into a "sidelock" by applying little domed metal circles to the sideplates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.