April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 1,067 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394393 02/15/15 04:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Folks:

I wanted to poll forum members for opinions who either have or had Arrizabalaga shotguns and hunted with them.

I have seen the quality of their work and it appears impressive.
They appear to be a top quality shotgun. I drove by the factory last year but alas it was siesta. We have to respect local customs. A young local led me to the factory, found a parking spot but couldn't, shouldn't change customs. The populace are elegant, cultured people with a warm and welcoming attitude. We truly enjoy Northern Spain.

My point of reference is a very nice DHE Parker 20/30 f/f and is the first Parker I've owned that comes through for quail. Thank you for your time.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

14teener;

If you are considering purchasing one here in USA, be aware that not all shotguns with their name are of the excellent quality as the ones the firm built in the last decade of it's life prior to selling the business to Arrieta. John Boyd of Quality Arms, Houston is the individual to consult if you are in doubt.

Regards;
Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any of the Spanish shotgun makers could, and did, make top end guns for top end prices. Equally generally, all those same makers made shotguns to every price point at which a market existed.

Bottom line; be cautious buying a gun because of who made it. Rather look at each gun as an individual, and assess the price point to which it was made and the purpose for which it was made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And be careful of which Arrizabalaga it is. I think there was Pedro, Luis and Teodoro. I have a 28 gauge Teodoro Arrizabalaga muzzleloader and it's about as cheap of a quality as you can get.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/15/15 06:26 PM.
bushveld #394413 02/15/15 06:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BV
Thank you for the advice. The gun in question is at a premium so I need to proceed with caution.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

William Larkin Moore & Sons had one a couple weeks ago, they import them along with Arrietas. Take Kyrie's advice, quality varies, as with all makers & models, as well as prices.

Hunt with vintage classics.
The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one, least of all those who write books about Spanish guns, give us any real information about the vintage of Arrizabalaga shotguns in best, and less than best quality. The assumption is, as far as I understand it, that early PA guns are not so good, but what is early? My 1961 PA 28 gauge is as well fitted and finished as any Spanish sidelock I have ever inspected. Is this one of the "early" guns that weren't as good as the recent ones?

eightbore #394528 02/16/15 04:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
No one, least of all those who write books about Spanish guns, give us any real information about the vintage of Arrizabalaga shotguns in best, and less than best quality. The assumption is, as far as I understand it, that early PA guns are not so good, but what is early? My 1961 PA 28 gauge is as well fitted and finished as any Spanish sidelock I have ever inspected. Is this one of the "early" guns that weren't as good as the recent ones?

Read Wieland's "Spanish Best" to get an idea when PA began to move away from guns-at-every-price-point to only top price point guns.

eightbore #394531 02/16/15 04:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen:

My opinion is that PEDRO Arrizabalaga made very good quaility sidelock double shotguns and rifles through all the times.
Even a model 106 (basic model but with triple lock "a la Puedey", double intercepting sears and walnut stock) was made very solid and with the tight tolerances and good steels that made PA shotguns so reliable.

I have a model 132 from 1968 that my granfather bought in Eibar more than 40 years ago. The shotgun still have the characteristic sound when you close it: solid, tight close, dificult for me to explain, but unique for PA shotguns.

I think that ANY Pedro Arrizabalaga shotgun is a good shotgun: I never saw a bad quality one.

As I told you first, just my opinion.

Regards,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Jose.

If "quality" is defined solely in terms of reliability and durability then a low quality Spanish side lock is a rarity.

If we want to discuss Spanish shotguns using some different definition of the word quality, then we need to articulate that definition clearly before we start jacking our jaws.

Otherwise no one is going to understand what anyone else is talking about :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.