May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (prairie ghost, eeb, battle, coosa, 1 invisible), 330 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,772
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I carried a 1894 10ga AE with damascus barrels and perfect bores. I took the gun there looking for an offer due to their famously unqualified experts. There was a new guy there who looked at the gun, commented about the barrels, and said he would need about 30 minutes to get an offer. So I waste 30 minutes in the store before returning to the gun room. Same fellow sees me and says, verbatim,"We will not be able to buy your gun because damascus barrels are not safe to shoot."

I cock my head with a smirk and respond,"You sell damascus guns." He says, "That gun over there came from another store and has been in inventory since 2001." At which point I tell him I think what he has just said is completely ignorant and then say,"So that gun isn't safe to shoot but you're going to sell it anyway?"

What a bunch of unethical dumbasses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus is a conundrum for the big boxes. They just don't know how to deal with it. They are so fearful of any potential for liability that they tie themselves in knots trying to work around it. Any form of Damascus barrel needs to be evaluated by a competent person before it is used, and....the person using it needs to be competent too. Since Cabelas can't be guaranteed of a fully competent staff at each gun library (they don't pay squat!) they have to stay safely in the relatively idiot-proof areas of firearms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Among the Parker listings under Cabela's Gun Library there are lots of pattern welded barrels, almost none of which are listed in the gun's description as Twist or Damascus
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cm...mp;x=10&y=7

As in medicine today, 'WNL' no longer signifies 'within normal limits' but 'we never looked'. In reviewing the last Julia auction I noted a number of barrels mislabeled, and with a single 'MWT' number without mention of any other wall thickness measurements.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If it ain't safe to shoot then don't offer it for sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the big boxes have at one time or another, been saddled with guns that they don't know what to do with. Each company (Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc.) and then each branch seems to have a different policy on the subject. When there is employee turnover, the problem seems to be compounded even further. Bass Pro sells Damascus guns locally that they say are "wall hangers" only. Cabelas may end up there as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As you were walking around for 30 minutes, the "new" guy was probably looking for someone to tell him what to do with a gun he had never seen anything like before. The regular dept. manager may or may not have even been there to ask, so he may have been talking to people equally un-experienced with the level of gun you brought in. Instead of dropping 1000's of dollars on a gun they had no idea about, which in their mind if they are wrong about could very well get them fired, his best answer was to tell you they just don't buy damascus barreled guns.

So instead of worrying about potentially getting his ass chewed out by store management, the guy making about $8 an hours came up with the answer he gave you. Of course not the right answer, but one which carried little risk for someone who is new on the job and is probably hoping he won't be working there for long to begin with. Maybe he'll learn more about vintage guns in the future and be able to help you, but more likely he'll move on to bigger and better things, which is the case with most people making minimum wage. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised with the situation you found yourself in.

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
I took the gun there looking for an offer due to their famously unqualified experts.

So if I understand your first statement, you were intentionally going there to find some in-experienced person in the hopes of him giving you a ridiculously high offer on a gun they didn't know anything about. I'm not sure if your second statement is referring to the minimum wage worker you corresponded with, or with yourself.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
As you were walking around for 30 minutes, the "new" guy was probably looking for someone to tell him what to do with a gun he had never seen anything like before. The regular dept. manager may or may not have even been there to ask, so he may have been talking to people equally un-experienced with the level of gun you brought in. Instead of dropping 1000's of dollars on a gun they had no idea about, which in their mind if they are wrong about could very well get them fired, his best answer was to tell you they just don't buy damascus barreled guns.

So instead of worrying about potentially getting his ass chewed out by store management, the guy making about $8 an hours came up with the answer he gave you. Of course not the right answer, but one which carried little risk for someone who is new on the job and is probably hoping he won't be working there for long to begin with. Maybe he'll learn more about vintage guns in the future and be able to help you, but more likely he'll move on to bigger and better things, which is the case with most people making minimum wage. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised with the situation you found yourself in.

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
I took the gun there looking for an offer due to their famously unqualified experts.

So if I understand your first statement, you were intentionally going there to find some in-experienced person in the hopes of him giving you a ridiculously high offer on a gun they didn't know anything about. I'm not sure if your second statement is referring to the minimum wage worker you corresponded with, or with yourself.

The hourly people are not the ones who make the final call. I was dealing with the manager of the gun library, not an hourly worker. And yes, I did go there because I have found that they sometimes pay more than most people, but you can scratch all of that out of the conversation as it is basically unrelated - the point was that they said damascus was unsafe to shoot yet are still trying to sell their "unsafe" damascus guns to the public. It doesn't matter if they are correct or not regarding the gun's safety. In their minds the gun is unsafe yet they still want to sell it to someone. As for their knowledge level and perhaps not wanting to get in over their heads - nope, that's not the case. I spoke with someone right after the store opened about that very issue and was told they have people in either Maryland or Virginia who serve for that very purpose. I am assuming their telephone service was in a functional state today, although I could be mistaken. Wouldn't they have simply asked me to return, rather than risk their jobs by having me call their corporate headquarters to complain about the BS story they concocted. What you are suggesting would actually be far worse. They missed out on an opportunity to turn a nice profit had they purchased the gun from me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a lot of wasted bandwidth.

1. The attempt was made to take advantage of inexperienced counter personnel at a large chain store.

2. It didn't work.

3. The seller is dismayed at the golden opportunity missed by the dealer to turn a tidy profit.

Is that about it?

The whole damascus/safe issue is just sour grapes.

Perhaps Cabela's is smarter than the poster thought and not about to make an offer on a loser. We get just one side of the story.

Proof is that the poster didn't come home with the 2001 stock gun. IF this story is square, that gun should have been a very good bargain.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how any of the big boxes deal in English (or Damascus) guns without having a good set of tools on hand to measure barrel wall thickness. It is my understanding that most do not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Remington 10 AE is not going to be an easy item to sell for them. Think about it. They don't even have a shell in the store to shoot in that gun. It is heavy double barreled gun, and choked for lead shot, with no screw in choke tubes. If it was a 12 it would have been an easier sell for them.

I am not surprised that they were not interested in it. Walk most guns shows with that over your shoulder and you will be bringing that one home as well. Now if it was a "Parker" there might have been more interest in it as a collectors item. To them that gun might just be in inventory for years. If I was running the gun room you would not like my offer much if I even made any. My local Cabelas has had a 12 AE in stock for three plus years and will never sell it. they paid too much for it and they want three times as much as it is worth. The kid just did not want another forever gun in inventory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.