May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 284 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,340
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Geb #390946 01/18/15 11:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw this post while in Dallas. I am sorry for the trouble that has been expressed here. It does my profession no honor. It is my hope this gets resolved soon.

Sincerely;

Dennis Earl Smith
The Stock Doctor

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
DES/TSD #390958 01/19/15 07:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had Dennis E Smith work on a Holland .450 double rifle, the work was beyond my expectations and I still can not figure how he did it. I have used other stock "repairers" in the past and he is way, way above any others I have used. And to boot he IS a really nice guy! I highly recommend him. He truly can do "Holland or Purdey" quality stock work!

Geb #390961 01/19/15 08:35 AM
Geb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Dennis Earl Smith, I communicated my current experience about some work that I am having done by some one else. Clearly his name was confused by others on this thread. If one scrolls back you will see I was very careful to put the contact information that was provided to me by the other gentleman. In every profession there are the good, the bad and the few who excel at their craft. Clearly you are one of the ones that excels based on comments here. Please enjoy your travel to and from Dallas, be safe.

Once again, I am not saying the gentleman I have been in contact with in WI who has my Stevens Visible loader stock with is poor, I am merely stating the facts as they have transpired so far.

Geb #390971 01/19/15 10:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geb, your first post was clear in itself, but with no name shown and with "Stock Doctor" rather than "Stock Doc" in your subject line, the next poster assumed it was DES. After the distinction was pointed out, your later post below again referred to the WI guy as "Stock Doctor". I think this required correction -- even going back to edit your post. There is only one "The Stock Doctor".

Jay

Originally Posted By: Geb
What I have found interesting is that I sent a Stevens Visible Loader stock to the Stock Doctor back in November. He said in three different conversations in December that he was finishing it up and would be mailed out. I have emailed and called but now he is not returning my calls or emails. While yes it is a cheap gun stock it has sentimental value since it was my fathers gun as a child.
In my last call (which was yesterday)I left a voice message, I asked just to return the stock as is and I will pay him for what time he has in it. No response.

Thank Gawd I did not send him my Francotte Stock.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 01/19/15 11:21 AM.
Geb #391032 01/19/15 06:38 PM
Geb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you Jay, I was incorrect to say Stock Doctor, I should have said Stock Doc...My deepest apologies to DES..

Geb #391063 01/19/15 10:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Geb. No offense taken. Currently I know of six other gentlemen doing business as "Stock Doctor"/"The Stock Doctor"in the USA. When I started 32 years ago there were 2 counting me. All I can do is continue to do my best for those who chose my services.

Thank you one and all for your kind words . I will continue to strive to be worthy of them.

Geb #391385 01/22/15 10:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had the Stock Fixrs in Washington state do a total repair of a little combination gun that was completely broken in half at the wrist. I waited 13 months for my turn, but when it came back the repair was undetectable.

Geb #391411 01/23/15 07:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis - it might behoove you to tske the time (and a little money) and register "the Stock Doctor" as trademark. You've spent too much time and effort, and developed a hard-won, excellent reputation for it to be exposed to some guy coming along and piggybacking off you, making money for himself and hurting you in the same minute. He winds up confusing his less-excellent work and service with yours and both you and the marketplace suffer for it.

It might be that the guy in Wisconsin never heard about you and his appropriating your name is totally innocent. Wisconsin's a long way from Oregon. But (a) the internet has pretty well obliterated a lot of the things associated with distance (like "Wisconsin's a long way from Oregon" when it comes to the marketplace) and (b) as your trip to Texas shows, you have a market and reputation that is (at least) nationwide. Moreover, the confusion on this thread over just who was being discussed exemplifies the problem.

This is not to say the guy in Wisconsin is a "bad" guy. Just that you have a reputation in the market to protect. On the internet, where most people get most of their information these days, you and the Wisconsin guy are next-door neighbors.

I've seen it happen too many times, where someone builds a business and reputation over years of hard, dedicated work, only to have some sharpie slide in, steal their name, and hurt their business badly, sometimes fatally. Take the need to do this as a sign of success on your part.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 01/23/15 07:07 AM. Reason: typos

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Geb #391479 01/24/15 01:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Dave in Maine. I have looked into it before.

Geb #392046 01/28/15 09:59 PM
Geb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I just wanted to follow up on this topic. I did receive my stock back yesterday from the gentleman in WI. I am thankful for that.

Excellent comment and thoughts Dave in Maine.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.