April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Longknife, SKB, KY Jon, montenegrin, Jimmy W), 446 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In looking at larger bore (40 cal and above) i wonder what are the normal expected ranges they are expected to engage at and what is the max effective range with iron sights and with scope?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Boxlock
Boxlock

I believe you're asking two completely different questions. I would venture a guess that most DR's with iron sights are going to be used at or under 300yards, with the vast majority of shots being taken significantly under that mark. As far as 'effective range', it depends on your meaning. For example, the BPCR crowd are shooting straight walled BP cartridges and sending lead VERY accurately to 1,000 yards and further. I certainly wouldn't stand down range at 1,000 knowing someone was up range sending thumping big pills in my direction! As far as relative 'killing power', for their intended use, certainly less than 1,000. You could probably tie relative velocities at points x through x+n to bullet weight and get your impact energy. As a practical suggestion, I wouldn't shoot my .500 BPE at anything living past about 200. Certainly nothing likely to take umbrage with being shot at and likely to retaliate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The BPCR game is very interesting and the shooters are very good, but they are shooting at stationary targets that don't bleed and a bad hit is still a hit.For an open sighted double,I would say no farther than you can keep all shots on a paper plate.It would be the same with a scope, except the scope would extend the range.If the rifle/ammo is well regulated, I would guess 80-100 yds. for open sights and up to 200 with a scope.This could be significantly extended for a really well regulated, smaller caliber rifle with scope( ie 7x65R-9.3x74R).
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 01/01/15 06:27 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

My comment regarding BPCR was merely to emphasize the fact that despite a long range trajectory resembling a howitzer shell, these heavy lead bullets can travel quite far. I believe my second point echoes yours regarding maximum engagement distances.

PS- Paper plates don't generally move much either. wink

Boxlock
Boxlock

In reality, for its intended purpose, 30 to 75 yards. You don;t take longshots on dangerous game period!

jsteenson
Boxlock
Boxlock

Agreed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd go for a double at DG at up to 100 with iron sights and up to 300yds MAX. with a scope. IF it was a GOOD SHOOTING RIFLE. Many won't be able to handle this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those really shine with large calibers (400 to 500 grain bullet at about 2100 to 2200fps) with two triggers at stopping charges at five to 10 paces though unlike Mauser can be defeated by grain of sand into the action. Their owners claim typical mass-produced small caliber French Chapuis is good well past 150m perhaps even past 200m. Not sure if that is so because for same coin I would rather take custom engraved bolt gun or semi-autho instead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rule of thumb is Arpeture sights resolve to 1 moa, scopes improve on 1 moa by their power, 2 1/2 power resolves to a bit less than 1/2 moa and so on This with good eyesight. Less than good eyes scopes can make a significant difference.

Practical use on game my 03 Sporter is as effective to 100 yards with its Lyman 48 and large Arpeture as it is with a K 2.5 mounted as long as light is good. Dark poor contrast the scope is an advantage. Easier to pick a spot on Animals with the scope too. It's a reliable 200 yard gun not needing any range estimation when scoped and zeroed properly. Flat shooting.

Thing that limits range on any big bore is trajectory. Have shot a lot of 45/70 and on game they are 100 yard rifles at best. Bullet drop gets them very soon. I shoot iron sight 40/65 & 45/70 to 500 meters and further on measured target ranges, no way to link target performance to live game in the field. Apples and oranges.

Big double rifles I have seen are 100 yard guns, little more in the smaller bores perhaps, not much. Study the drop charts for your cartridge, more important than what kind of action. Big advantage the doubles have have is fast handling a major plus.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 01/19/15 11:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is one of most informative threads I've read on the subject, backed up by experience. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.