May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (12boreman, 1 invisible), 368 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,799
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

It seems to me that most of the so called Tea Party people want the country to go back to Eisenhower presidency era which seems funny because one can't keep cows in barn by closing the doors after the cows already left. One can not stop progress.

No, what the Tea party wants is to be free from the sociopathic, unconstitutional inflictions being forced upon them by people like you. Progress? Now THAT'S laughable....

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I don't want to debate The Great Society issue. There's clearly nothing to be accomplished there. However, I'll offer one personal and professional observation about it. The National Defense Education Act provided funds for teacher training that had very significant benefits for students. Unlike recent efforts to improve schools by merely announcing higher standards, this legislation created opportunities for teachers to improve their instruction in math, science, and foreign languages. Those teachers were my colleagues, and they were good at what they did. As that generation began to retire, I noticed that their replacements often lacked the academic rigor that we'd previously had.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance, Baffle Them With Bullshit ...

Yes ed, we already know that all you have is bullshit. But when you have shit for brains... what else could we expect?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....Those teachers were my colleagues, and they were good at what they did. As that generation began to retire, I noticed that their replacements often lacked the academic rigor that we'd previously had.

Serious question, was it the TEA party or Bush's fault. With your years of experience, is common core serving the next generation of teachers well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, I have to give both Bush's a pass here. The decline in teacher training was partly the loss of funding for advanced training. Another factor was the upheaval of the late 60's which lead to lower college standards. However, Bush's No Child Left Behind is a bad, bad program. Requiring more and tougher testing without improved teacher training is a dead end. Johnson's program worked because it strengthened the people in the trenches and equipped them to be more effective. The Common Core is a good idea, if only teachers are capable of carrying it out. It's too bad it's become a political issue.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I don't want to debate The Great Society issue. There's clearly nothing to be accomplished there. However, I'll offer one personal and professional observation about it. The National Defense Education Act provided funds for teacher training that had very significant benefits for students. Unlike recent efforts to improve schools by merely announcing higher standards, this legislation created opportunities for teachers to improve their instruction in math, science, and foreign languages. Those teachers were my colleagues, and they were good at what they did. As that generation began to retire, I noticed that their replacements often lacked the academic rigor that we'd previously had.

Bill,

This is exactly what we've been talking about, the degradation of our public schools. There are two main reasons. The introduction of "New Math", and "Whole Language". New Math is different than any math instruction around the world. What the rest of the world teaches is referred to as "Scientific Math", and is available at the college level. The only exception I am aware of is Idaho, where it is taught in the schools.

Whole Language is, for all practical purposes, a form of Berlitz. The concept being based on simple memorization of words and phrases, rather than an in depth teaching of phonetics and grammar. This has created a high degree of functional illiteracy in our society.

Now, throw in the whole Humanities-taught concepts of "Victimhood" and "Entitlement" and "Evil America" and for many students it leads to a dead-end street ending in dependency on government at the expense of their fellow citizens.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I asked my friend why United States does not use SI is system like it is used in the rest of the industrialized world. He told me that conservatives would get real upset claiming that it does away with American exceptionalism.

The reason American primary and secondary education is not improving and kids aren't doing better lies with their parents. The values and focus in typical family unit are wrong. I would not worry about state of education as long as we have powerful military we can have the stupidest population in the world and they will still respect us out of fear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I don't want to debate The Great Society issue. There's clearly nothing to be accomplished there.

Of course you don't wish to debate the failures of the Great Society Bill. If it accomplished what it was supposed to, we'd never hear the end of it from you.

Interesting that you are again all over the map on education. If you actually gave both Bush's a pass, I don't think anyone here can see it. You complain about the lack of teacher training as a root cause of No Child Left Behind problems, yet surely you know that Education Spending has increased dramatically since you started teaching... with a negative net result. Here's some data for you to digest from the U.S. Department of Education.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/10facts/index.html

I'd especially like you to study fact no. 2, which tells us how we spend more on education than National Defense... and how we are getting less for our money than other developed nations which spend far less per pupil.

Then look at fact no.5 which illustrates the massive increases in spending, even adjusted for inflation. Looks like the only years of very slight decline were under Jimmy Carter. Hmmmm.

Then check out fact no. 10 which deals with No Child Left Behind and tells us that under Bush's program, there was $2.9 Billion (per year) provided to the States for "Improving Teacher Quality Grants".

That's not what you tried to tell us Bill. Who is telling us lies Bill... you or the Department of Education? They are hardly a bastion of Conservatism that gets it's information from Rush Limbaugh or FOX News. I find it hard to believe you have never seen or heard these statistics before. After all, this is your field, and we have discussed the same here in the past, many times.

That begs the questions of why you are trying to feed us bullshit, and why you think you could get away with it here?

Don't go slippin' out the back door on us now, like you and King Brown are so prone to do when caught red-handed. Hey, here's a tip... you could always lie and say I put words in your mouth, and then pretend to ignore me like King Brown does. Works for him.

Edit--- Several teachers I know who were 100% in favor of Common Core now universally say it sucks, and that it does not recognize that all students do not develop at the identical rate or age. Anyone knows that... except for the agenda driven Libtards who implemented it... which might even include Jeb Bush.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems pace of curriculum should be based on the above average student and the stupid ones should be left behind. This is because our society needs street cleaners, refuse collectors, foot soldiers,....... The whole idea of no child left behind seems very stupid to me much like trying to create racing pony out of mule or a donkey.

keith #389012 01/02/15 11:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done Keith !

every time you look at a comparison of public vs privates school costs the bloated public school system loses and offers worse,much worse results for the students.
Yet another reason why there should be NO unions in the public sector.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.