April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (djama, WJW, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you all for your confidence. I am willing to talk to you Stan.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had several through bolt guns bent. The hole did have to be enlarged in a couple but not in others. Guess the bolt hole was so close to the bolt size there was not a lot of room for movement. Or perhaps the person doing it just enlarged it by habit. I would bend if possible or just send the gun down the road if not. Too many other nice guns out there to shoot a gun that does not suit. And it is your gun so do with it as you wish. It is a nice gun but not a rare one of a kind classic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand how you can bend a through bolt gun. If the bolt is loose the stock would pull away from the inletting during the process. Not a good thing I would think.

If the bending takes place at the wrist but the bolt is tight it would not allow bending unless you are bending the through bolt. Enlarging the hole allow room to bend but you would still be flexing the through bolt. If you force the bend you would lose all feel and possibly break it at the wrist. Can anyone explain how it is done?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess it would depend on how much play around the bolt in the hole.A little bend of 1/8" at the wrist would give a much bigger movement down at the butt.There might be enough play, ..if not , enlarge it a bit...though Im just guessing.
If people do it, it must work somhow
You might even be able to make & fit a thinner bolt,LOL
cheers
Franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 12/22/14 03:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike Orlen has successfully bent one drawbolt double for me. No problems and quick turnaround.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
It is a nice gun but not a rare one of a kind classic.

That's exactly right, Jon. But what IS hard to find is a .410 double gun that has ejectors and 30" barrels, with an extra set of 28 gauge barrels, each with their own forend, of near Beretta quality, for $1500. Really hate to send this one packing if I can help it.

Thanks for the help guys. Traded emails with DES today, plan to call him tomorrow.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck with your venture. I understand your desire to get it right instead of just sending it down the road. But like you said it is a $1500 gun not a five grand gun so you can roll the dice and see what happens. Small tears instead of great big ones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remain amazed by the retention of ideas so often held by the shooting fraternity. I and others have often posted on this very subject. There was even a very long tutorial posted by a gentleman in Seattle(with pictures) of his bending fixtures to prove draw bolt guns may be bent. Since each gun is unique, the amount of bend available is not set in stone.
However ladies and gentlemen, once and for all time.... You may bend draw bolt guns.

There are precautions a bending operator must take to assure no broken gunstocks occur. Being careful and patient are just two of the precautions. A reputable craftsman inspects the work for repairs, flaws, un-repaired cracks, too tight of a stock bolt , too thin a stock bolt(yes some are so small in diameter they act as springs), aluminum tubes in the stock bolt hole....the list goes on. After 25 years if bending gunstocks there is always something to learn. AND there is always more than one way to accomplish the goal of customer satisfaction. A craftsman/woman is flexible enough to recognize what needs to be done and gets it done well. IF the stock may not be bent they explain why and apologize for not being able to help.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.