Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

Mr. Hughes, here it is over 7 years on from your initial post, but I only just joined this forum and I do have information on this make. Even if the shotgun has long since passed from your hands, it may be that other folks have come across this site via a search for the elusive "R Wakefield" make. I therefore hope that this information is of value:

"R Wakefield" was not a real person's name, but rather a trade name registered by Mr. R. H. Kilby of Montreal, Canada. Mr. Kilby was a prolific dealer and importer in the 1870's.

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/l...;imageID=141372

Mr. Kilby manufactured no firearms, but was a dealer for many British arms manufacturers in Montreal. As he expanded his operations, he began commissioning custom-marked firearms under the "R. Wakefield" name. These were low- to mid-market offerings, constructed from roughs and finished by cottage makers in the custom of the time, especially for export to the African and South American markets. Kilby's self-stated intentions were to invest slightly more time into the finishing stage, in the hopes of serving the North American market.

Here is Kilby's letter to the editor of Forest & Stream, Rod & Gun, a sportsman's periodical in Montreal. The letter was published in 1873, Volume 9 of the publication.

------

"WHO IS R. WAKEFIELD?"
The above question was asked by one of your correspondents at Whitehall, in your issue of October 4 r and you gave a very correct reply. "R. Wakefield" is the trade mark I put on guns of English manufacture, and this, in conjunction with the Lion and Beaver and the mono-gram BHK between them, is registered at Stationer's Hall, London, England, and can only be used by myself.

Craving your polite indulgence, I now ask you to permit me, through your columns, to state by what motives I was actuated in adopting any name as a trade mark, which was not my own. I don't make guns, I profess to be the architect, but not the builder.

My guns are constructed after my own designs, and I employ builders, who will furnish the best work at the most reasonable price. Makers who are both the architects and builders of their guns, and who have deservedly earned an enviable reputation, may sometimes yield to the temptation of trading on their fame, and tons either furnish an article of mediocre merits at a price beyond its real value, or a
really good article at a fancy price.

My motives then are:
1. Not to be identified with, or tied to, any maker;
2. To be entirely independent of fancy prices;
3. To secure the best work at the lowest figures;
4. To employ such builders as are best calculated to satisfactorily construct the various-varieties of guns suited to fill the wants of my correspondents.

I hope your readers will have charity, enough to refrain from saying that I must be some relative of the famous Captain. Bragg, if I assert that I understand what a gun should be. I have handled a gun ever since I had strength enough to carry one, and I hardly like to confess how many years that is since.

Thus, you wouldn't invite the trade of any particular maker. I strive more to put (through the trade) Into a sportsman's bands as good a gun as can be made (no matter by whom) for the price charged. Sportsmen are as quick as moat men to detect anything In the form of humbug; and, as I have the conceit to believe that I am not an unwelcome member of the kind and hearty fraternity, I must, therefore, ask them to accept my assurance that my endeavor now is to put in the market the best work and material at a cost which cannot be achieved under other conditions.

I would not have ventured to trespass at such length on your space had I not thought the reply to your correspondent at Whitehall— accurate though It was— might have placed me in a position capable of various interpretations. Your love of fair play— which I have so often seen evidenced— could not, I am sure, permit this, hence my reliance on your good nature to receive this communication.

I am, dear sir, yours truly, R. H. Kilby.

-----

I hope this information is of use to you, and any others who might happen upon this page in search of info on the elusive "R Wakefield" make of firearms. Your shotgun is likely a mid-1870's cottage import. Mass produced by a large maker in Birmingham with London registration, shipped somewhere in England for finishing by a small cottage outfit, commissioned by Kilby for export to Canada, and sold in small numbers throughout North America.

It is fairly rare, reflecting the low volume of a cottage maker, but unless someone has some particular affinity for Kilby himself, that rarity doesn't impart any measurable increase in value. I believe it to be an average example of cottage guns of this era, having held two in my hands.

Respectfully,
David

Last edited by AO Sword; 12/07/14 01:52 PM.

David Chong
AO Sword Firearms - Custom Tools with Triggers
El Cajon, CA
Sidelock
Sidelock

70 bore might be for the .450/400 Black Powder Express 2 3/8" round. E-mail the Birmingham Proof House and they should be able to confirm the 70 bore mark. Markings were a bit vague back then. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

AOSword
I was very interested in your post related to Ralph H Kilby.
In his book The Canadian Gunsmiths, 1608-1900 the late Prof; S.James Gooding ,The author, lists Ralph H. Kilby as a Gunsmith and Manufacturers agent, 346 St Paul Street Montreal P.Q.1871-1875.
Records[official Catalogue] show that Kilby exhibited the Evans breech loading rifle at the International exhibition held in Philadelphia in 1876. It is very unlikely that Kilby was the manufacturer.
It is also recorded that Kilby was one of the first Canadian agents for Smith and Wesson Revolvers.
There is no mention of Kilby using the name, R.Wakefield on firearms in Gooding's book.
Some years ago I owned a rook and rabbit rifle bearing the Wakefield name. Prior to your post I had always thought that the gun was a Birmingham import bearing the name of a Birmingham maker. We live and learn, thanks for your post.
[Retd; member of the Canadian association of antique arms historians.]

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

R. Wakefield? Didn't he play keyboards with the English prog-rock band Yes?

LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.