May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 211 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
"peddle your well-toasted wares herein"

More like "burnt offerings", Foxy.

grin

Hillary For Prison 2018
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

at least there is some humor here...better than the downer posts usually forthcoming from these jackels.

but again, they are trashing this fine forum...what a shame...oh well, i aint the moderator...so why should i care? cept it is sad to see something that could be so good become so bad, because of a few malcontents, who are allowed to run off at the mouth here with no apparent standards or controls.

Last edited by ed good; 11/04/14 10:04 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eds sad attmept with this thread to "troll" for victims (he calls them customers) for his tarted up POS guns has once again gone bad and proves yet again that not a day goes by without Ed proving both his incompetence and lack of ethics,no wonder is business is in the crapper !
You lost again Ed no one bought your over priced SW on here and never will buy from you !

Hillary For Prison 2018
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

and who said "one bad apple spoils the bushel" ?

i think that was me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Back 'shortly after the requirement became mandatory' he wasn't hand loading steel because there were no components.
PSI is PSI and it matters not what the payload is.
SAAMI max is 11,500 PSI for 3" 12 gauge.
You have no idea what pressure factory shells are loaded to, lead, steel, or anything else unless it's stated.
'Thinking I had nothing to lose'. Taking a 1907 gun out to 3" and feeding it early factory steel is certainly an interesting experiment.
Glad both he and the gun survived... that would have been way outside of my comfort zone."

My reference to steel shot shells being light loaded was indeed a reference to the weight of the payload. I still have 3" lead loaded "magnum" shells from that period with 1 7/8 oz payloads (and recall 2 oz loads as being available also), while the heaviest 3" steel shot loads obtainable at that time were 1 3/8 oz (which load I was shooting). What I recall was that 3" magnum lead loads delivered punishing recoil, while recoil from those 3" steel loads seemed to be more or less equivalent to normal skeet loads. I don't recall shell pressures being published, but fully realized that shell manufacturers deliberately maximized velocities to compensate for the fact that lighter steel shot pellets shed velocity much faster than the same size lead pellet. And although I did shoot thousands of hand loads in those days (to include my Damascus guns), I was oblivious to pressure concerns; and don't recall period loading manuals publishing pressures, only velocities. We obviously have vast amounts more knowledge and data these days, and have further benefited mightily thru the ability to share data and experiences on forums such as the double gun shop; but this venue and the web were non-existent when steel shot was first forced upon us shooters. As to this particular Fox gun, it locked as tight as the proverbial bank vault, and there was more than sufficient wall thickness to handle the lengthened chambers (Buck Hamlin checked wall thickness and lengthened chambers); had this gun and barrels been otherwise, I would not have risked my fingers. Although I strongly suspect many posters to this forum have conducted myriad experiments themselves, the steel shot experiment described above (as well as other ideas I've tinkered with in years past) was my personal version of "finding out for myself"; and I'll never say anything other than mine was a very favorable result. But I also clearly stated in my original post that "I certainly wouldn't recommend someone do the same with his gun", or take any unnecessary risks; for with the volumes of excellent information and resources available nowadays, there's simply no need.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
and who said "one bad apple spoils the bushel" ?

i think that was me.
Wrong-o again, Ed. It was said by Johnny Appleseed himself--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

no bobby you need more, it keeps you young gives you something to clean.Mark

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

just read the thread on the creation of a custom slug gun, made out of a classic fox sterlingworth shotgun...

is that the future now? dolling up classic affordable hunting guns into rich man's custom toys?

i hope not.

i mean, would it have not been a better idea to preserve the old fox and use the barrels from another fox gun, perhaps one salvaged from a botched rehardening job, (lots of those around); fit the salvaged set of barrels (fairly easy), to the good action and then go on from there to make the slug gun. that way, one would have a two barrel set. one made from a preseved gun and one made from salvaged parts of a gun whose action was destroyed by unskilled hands. as it is now, that old fox is now gone forever...too bad.

kinda like taken a '34 ford coupe an chopin and channelin it and puttin in a corvette motor...looks really cool, but it aint a 1934 ford coupe any more.

Last edited by ed good; 11/07/14 08:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't expect you to have any understanding of appreciation for Dewey's work on that Fox. Past statements of yours on the Parker forum made it clear you have no appreciation of respect for the work of fine craftsmen.

And to refresh you memory, that was a when you said it was "unethical" for craftsman to charge more than YOU were willing to pay.

B.Dudley
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

dudley: the workmanship displayed appears to be outstanding. just sad to me that that old fox is gone forever...

and what someone charges for their work is none of yours or my business. the seller of his time and the market determines that.

why you have decided to embark on the attack mode here, i know not...just keep in mind that two can play that silly game...but i will not do it here, as it is supposed to be against the rules of this forum. if you wana joist, come on down to the chess pool of misfires, where such nonsense is permitted on a regular basis.

Last edited by ed good; 11/08/14 10:01 AM.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.