April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Kip, battle, fallschirmjaeger, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently had an experience that turned out well, in spite of a bad beginning. I saw an online ad for a SBT ejector gun that I was interested in. The pictures looked really good, so I called and we discussed it, agreed on a price and I told him I would mail a check. Before I hung up, I asked for reassurance on his posted 3 day inspection period.

I received the gun quickly and began to look it over. Immediately I realized it was off face. In my shop I tried increasingly thicker shim stock until it closed snugly on a sheet of .012" stock. That's serious daylight. Then I saw a glaring crack in the top of the wrist immediately behind the top tang. Things were not looking good. Closer inspection showed that a pin was missing off the ejector sear. That was it.

I called the seller to discuss the issues. He said he never shot it, and never noticed it being off face, or the other issues. If he would have offered to lower the price enough I would have kept it and dealt with the problems myself, but it didn't happen. His comments concerning the flaws were: it's 80 years old, and "a collectible" (his word), it shouldn't be shot. I replied that a gun can be collectible and still be shot safely, and that I won't own a gun I cannot shoot. He said I was free to return it, which I did. Held my breath for a few days until the refund check arrived, which it did in a timely manner. Stuck to the check was a note which said that he had examined it and found all the issues I had mentioned to be there. He said "the crack is no big deal", and that he hadn't noticed the pin missing on the ejector. As to the gun being badly off face he said that he consulted his good friend, who is the "head gunsmith at Bass Pro Shops in Sprgfld, MO". Gunsmith supposedly said "Off face? What does he think it is, a Purdy? (his spelling).

Just a good reminder to us all at all dealers are not knowledgeable, even though they may be honest, and that we should ALWAYS make sure on the inspection period. Alls well that ends well I guess, but for the loss of shipping charges.

JFYI, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, what kind single trap and what were your plans for it? Seems out of character for you, a little.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan wants to win the single barrel trap competition at the Fall Southern next year. Let me know what you are looking for, Stan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a similar situation, when buying a gun i ask very specific questions, this is obviously not any good if the person on the other end does not under stand fully what or why you are asking.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am restoring an I. Johnson Special Trap that I came by several years ago. I am restocking it and having the metal done, too. I came across one in what I hoped to be original condition, primarily to use as a pattern. Didn't work out as hoped. I did get a tracing of the original checkering patterns though.

I would like to have a nice 32" Elsie SBT for the Fall Southern competition, but that was not the impetus for this buy gone bad. Lots of fish in the sea. I'll keep my eyes open. I did learn one thing from it, Bill. Special Traps were built with two completely different forend styles. The one like mine and the one you had ................. and then the style like billgrill has with the schnabel forend tip. For a long while I thought the schnabel style was a non-original replacement, but they did make them like that, too.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Single or double, Stan? I have had both. My vent rib single is the one pictured in Frank Conley's book. My double is the one buried in my basement, waiting for barrel blue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

an unconditional three day inspection period is a two edged sword...

yes, it gives the buyer last right of refusal after receiving the item.

however, it leaves the seller vurnable to tire kickers, thieves and in the case of internet transactions, the possibilty that the receiving dealer will convince the buyer that he is better off buying a better gun from him...

best return policy is this:

"Returns are handled on an individual basis. You can expect that I know what I am selling. You are expected to know what you are buying. All items are guaranteed to be as advertised. If I make a gross error in description, you may of course, return item with my apology"

this way, both seller and buyer are responsible. and it heads off the competitive receiving dealer.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

And you wonder why your business is circling the bowl,between the torch and your "works for me" BS return policy, thankfully, your days of taking advantage of unknowing/new buyers are numbered.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

How is a traditional return policy bad for the seller? If the gun is returned, the seller really looses nothing since shipping is usually paid for by the buyer. That is the small chance/loss the buyer takes to guarantee that they are not loosing out on a lot more later on.

If the item being sold is quality, a seller should not worry about finding another buyer for said item. Then again, if a shady/hobby dealer is peddling junk... That is another story.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Single or double, Stan? I have had both. My vent rib single is the one pictured in Frank Conley's book. My double is the one buried in my basement, waiting for barrel blue.

Bill, the Special Trap is the single barrel, which I have. The double was called the Super Trap.

The Special Trap was on the low end of the price range for SBT guns. I've never seen but a very few, and want to put this one back in righteous condition.

SRH

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.