Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,

As Gary said,the last I knew Michael hoped his papers would go to the Cody Museum. I have no idea if that is happening. They have limited space, and his interests are removed from "Buffalo Bill", so it is possible that they decided there is not a good fit between them. Maybe a few visits and trips down into the basement to ask questions about the period between the World Wars would convince them to find room!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The McCracken Library at the BB Center of the West (Cody Museum) in Cody is probably The place for manuscript collections such as we might be interested in. I came to meet the Ass. Curator of the WF Cody papers and she convinced me to take another look at this extraordinary Library.

http://centerofthewest.org/research/mccracken-research-library/archon/

That link will take you to the Archival Collection List, collections of papers, etc. available for research, some very familiar names with many striking my imagination and curiosity. They catalog and preserve for future researchers.
I'm going to send copies of my books (you an also search their book collection through Wyoming Libraries) because they don't appear to have them and I would like them to.
My "archives" are about my career in the main, but I also have extensive written correspondence with custom gunmakers and engravers from back when we used to writer letters.
I believe the McCracken would be a worthy location for Michael's archives, then waterman, or other future researchers will be able to go do their own research and answer their own questions.

Research in by necessity a labor of love. Various folks have thought I should continue, or archive other's papers, but I've got my own, and I write a dozen magazine article every year to pay my mortgage and I'm plenty busy writing and researching (eh Terry?).

Thankfully the bulk of my writing has been published but there is plenty that has never seen book form and we all have piles of magazines that someone will trash if we don't. These days it Must be digitized to be preserved. Newspapers and magazines are the first thing to go when the heirs clean the place out, and I'm sure we are all inundated with paper in this form. (Joe, what does Michael's magazine stash look like?)

I'm trying to find time to razor blade my two boxes of Sports Afield columns to preserve in a binder as the book I would like to see published on custom rifles.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Joe,
I hope you find the time to write something on estate planning for firearms collectors. As a second generation collector and dealer I was fortunate to have grown up in the business and meet so many interesting people of all means. My brother and I are carrying on the legacy my Father started because we appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship that it takes to make a fine firearm and also love the history behind each piece. When you have developed relationships with people over many decades sooner or later the inevitable happens and you find yourself at the table of their heirs. You quickly learn what kind of a relationship that former friend/client had with their spouse and children, usually within five minutes.

A good chapter for any estate planning book should be dedicated to the relationships between family members and how this plays into the decision making. We have found strong Type A personalities usually leave behind a weaker spouse that lets the children make the final decisions, normally lending to the SELL IT ALL FOR THE MONEY decision. Also tell tale signs can be detected by family members for those that are aging and getting ready to pass would make a good chapter. Almost every instance we have had dealing with Combat Veterans of WWII had clear signs that the end was near. Usually those that have experienced the ravages of war normally never talk about their experiences until 6 to 8 months before they pass. Army medals appear out of cabinets, dusted off and are hung on the wall, discussions with grandchildren about the war become more prevalent, etc.

It's sad to sit at a table and beg the children to leave a soldier's combat belt, .45 pistol and fighting knife to the 12 year old grandson and watch them pick out a modern cheap gun that can be bought at a local gun shop and sell everything else. I wish everyone would leave strict instructions for the spouse or have a plan in place.

It's too bad we can start out our lives wise, imagine what mistakes could be avoided.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My recent correspondence with Michael indicates that the paper collection will go to McCracken. We didn't neccesarily agree that that was the right thing to do, but the Rifled Arms organization apparently has gone belly up and Michael and I both agreed that that was not the way to go. At the time of his death, I believe that McCracken was his decision. I hope his paper is not buried forever. Bill Murphy in MD

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you have an alternate suggestion?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the volume of material being discussed? How much work would it be to scan, catalog, and protect everything with copyright held by Michael's estate? Wherever it ultimately resides, it is more likely to survive if cataloged.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my understanding that Michael scanned all his material. This way when he did he research he could used the scanned copy on his computer and not have to handle and risk damage to original copies. How much would you give to have someone just click and dag that folder to your thumb drive? Or better yet, upload it some place where others could download it, or portions of it for a small fee. To me that file has as much value as any of the rifles. Joe, if there is any way that something like this could be done I think it would leave a great legacy.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, to answer your question, Michael and I could come up with no alternative to McCracken. The Rifled Arms Historical Society was a wonderful organization with an interest that is congruent with ours, but lack of help and labor ended that organization.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bringing up this thread may be a bit emotional for some readers. However, it should be mentioned that Michael Petrov's research collection apparently went to the ASSRA archives. I have no information about how they plan to make it available to researchers or casual students.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used the ASSRA Archives to research Willard Milton Farrow. The Archives appear to be organized and the Archivist has been quite helpful, going out of his way to search out documents, make digital photocopies and e-mail said photocopies to me. That written, the Archivist, like the rest of us, is getting older.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.