April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (80dubya, Gerry Addison, LeFusil, Pwog, 1 invisible), 420 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone know if the Model 17 Remington can be "slam-fired" --- that is (for idiots only) where when the trigger is held back between shots the gun will fire each time the bolt is slammed forward. I notice that my vintage Model 37's will do this but the Model 17 Remington seems to have a disconnect preventing it. Thanks loads: 7/8 ouncers, that is. Chopperlump

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump
Anyone know if the Model 17 Remington can be "slam-fired" --- that is (for idiots only) where when the trigger is held back between shots the gun will fire each time the bolt is slammed forward. I notice that my vintage Model 37's will do this but the Model 17 Remington seems to have a disconnect preventing it. Thanks loads: 7/8 ouncers, that is. Chopperlump

What you are talking about above is not a "slam-fire". Guns like the Winchester model 12, 97 and some other oldies will fire again if the trigger is held back, as soon as the bolt is closed and locked. This is not a malfunction, it's a normal function of the design. A slam fire is a malfunction, as described in the following: "A slam fire is a rare premature firing, usually caused by out of spec ammo/primers, a dirty chamber, or malfunctioning firearm/firing pin. I have heard on several occasions folks stating rather routinely "there was a slam fire at the range today" or words to that effect. Seems that many things that are alledged to be slam fires are really not slam fires, like a double fire. (source, Google, typed in slam-fire)

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, this won't be any help.

1924 model 17: Won't do it at all.

1928 Model 17: If you hold the trigger back and pump the gun it does not fire. When you release the trigger it does instantly. (interesting enough this is the only 17 I have with the Penderson patent on the barrel.

1939 Ithaca 37 20g: "slam fires" like all old Ithaca's and Model 12s.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Frazier; 05/03/07 03:50 PM.

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Tim. My Model 17 won't do it like an older Model 37. That pleases me because I've always thought the one defect in design on the Model 37 was a too-small trigger guard. When wearing gloves in cold weather, I have had a 37 go off prematurely when just pumping in that second shot (rarely needed, I hope). Chopperlump

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim, by the way, my Model 17 does what your 1928 gun does: hold trigger back, pump action, and when yoou release the trigger, it fires! Not such a hot idea. I wonder if this is a design flaw or a part in need of replacement. My gun has only Browning's Patent date June 1915 on barrel. What about Ted's? Wonder if he will get in on this. Chopperlump

Last edited by chopperlump; 05/03/07 05:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This seems to be a Browning design/feature, as it shows up commonly on Browning designed guns. The model 12 is not a Browning design, of course, but Winchester's designers used a lot of the Browning ideas on it, like the takedown method. This function is also from another time, when shooters were expected to be smart enough to not hold the trigger as they closed the bolt on a pump gun UNLESS they wanted to fire it again very quickly. Holding the trigger back while pumping the slide is about as bright as holding the trigger while cocking the hammer, on a hammer gun. You really need to be smarter than the gun. I rather expect Herb Parsons used this feature to his advantage when breaking 7 hand tossed clays with a Model 12 pump.
Nowadays, everyone seems to feel the need to be protected from every possible mistake, so disconnectors have been added to pumps, automatic safeties added to SxS, O/Us, even lever actions and hammer guns, fercrysakes! How long before we add automatic safeties to semi-automatics?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not particularly concerned about these peculiarities but I do think the most dangerous is the system we mentioned where the gun fires when the trigger is released. I shot twice at a rabbit this year that might have been the results of this. Model 17s are very fast to cycle with a relatively short stroke, add gloves in the winter and it's possible in the heat of the moment. Of course the gun was already pointed at the target so the results were just pick'n more lead our of my hausenpheffer!

-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I don't believe the gun that fires when the trigger is released is normal. My guess is that it HAS a disconnector and something is wrong with it.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought of that, especially after finding out my third 17 which has a serial number in between the other two does not do it. I'm in the middle of a complete wood refurb on it to include a cool POW grip that follows the original checkering pattern. I'll just have to take a look at the trigger before it's all done.

Tim

-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only pump gun I have is a Win .22 model 61 (smooth top hammerless). As a kid I would sometimes hold the trigger back when pumping it to get a fast second shot at dump rats. Can't say it was an effective practice but it was a litte extra fun at the time because my buddy's bolt gun couldn't do it. Apparently this was a very common feature with more than one manufacturer.

But this is not a slam fire. Slam fires are malfunctions as Jim Legg pointed out above. I have seen a few occur with tired old semi automatic shotguns and a few machineguns in need of cleaning or repair. Most others claiming this had their finger in the trigger guard and fired the shot by accident - a human error-most frequently on a Model 12.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 05/03/07 09:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.