May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (susjwp, 1 invisible), 855 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,407
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
This is just an aside but I think at one time there were some nice O/U's coming out of Spain, Laurona has always been my favorite. The fact that many of them have double-single triggers is a big part of that. I just recently got this 12/20 gauge 2 barrel set. The 20 gauge barrels weigh the same as the 12 gauge barrels even though they do not have ribs on the sides due to the larger spacing.
Why did the O/U's "go away?"
CHAZ

There are still makers who produce O/U guns, AyA and Keman are likely the best known. There are some other shops too, but they are lesser known. Larm ( http://www.larm.com/english-ou.html ) is an example.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO the Basques have decided to remain in Spain; the years of terrorism and the bit of autonomy they have gotten changed their views. The Catalans I would call a 50/50 deal right now, although the loss of the Scottish Independence vote I think has poked a small hole in the Catalan separatists' balloon.
The Spanish Officer's oath requires him to fight to insure the Spanish State is both undivided and free. If the Catalans actually try to secede there will be hell to pay in Spain. IMHO
Dunno how that impacts shotgun prices, but that is how I see it today.

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Oh, yes. In the currency wars the dollar has so far been a clear loser. Which makes Euro priced Spanish shotguns dollar cheaper and, I suppose, demonstrates the old saying, "every curse contains a blessing."

Let's watch what happens in the Nov. 9 Catalonia independence referendum. If Catalonia does try to exit Spain the fox will well and truly be in among the chickens. God knows what the Basques would do.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Re LARM. Hadnt heard of em, sniffed around, found a long exchange on CazayArmas where folks state unequivocally that LARM dont make any GUNS, but relied on Diego Godoy for almost everything. Either way, interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eltren
Re LARM. Hadnt heard of em, sniffed around, found a long exchange on CazayArmas where folks state unequivocally that LARM dont make any GUNS, but relied on Diego Godoy for almost everything. Either way, interesting.

I strongly suspect that was true at the time of the Caza thread. Can't be now, what with the the passing of Don Diego. He was a giant, and is greatly missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clearly a candidate for the Unfortunate Acronym Hall-of-Fame, from 1971

As bad as the Chevy Nova. No va = it don't go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one of those once. The name fit.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great input guys, this will really help!

Now my personal view.

I am still high on Spanish guns. Not just because I am selling them as I had many before I started selling them. I think they represent a great value even at the new prices. Did these prices put some folks out of market, yes, of course.

Many of you spoke of English guns. They loose money too. If you think you can buy a new Purdey and shoot it and get you money back, not so. Many years later, maybe.

Who ever started that you should not loose money on a gun is wrong. We accept this idea of loosing money on a car, appliance, furniture, or even when our stock goes down, but for some reason someone said that should not loose money on guns.
Guns are commodities, not paintings from old masters

The model 557 that I sold new in the early 90s was $2750, now I can sell a used one for more.

Many speak of English guns that are the way to go. Well, you can find lots of cheap boxlocks for a few thousend dollars. Not a sidelock 28 ga ( probably not a 20 sidelock either). Not even in an Italian sidelock.

Thanks so much for the input, they will value you suggestions.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston, TX

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2

--- snip ---
Many speak of English guns that are the way to go. Well, you can find lots of cheap boxlocks for a few thousend dollars. Not a sidelock 28 ga ( probably not a 20 sidelock either). Not even in an Italian sidelock.
--- snip ---

Speaking of 20 gauge Spanish side locks, here are two guns made by Victor Sarasqueta and imported by Stoeger, on Gun Broker right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=445375368

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=446649231

Each has a starting bid under $800.

As an aside, there is more skilled hand labor in that Zephyr Sterlingworth (GB # 445375368) that there is in a current production AyA No.2.

And if you dont like the stocks on the guns, at $800 each we have enough money left to have them restocked to our measure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Fellows, as you know I have been selling Spanish guns for many years, importing direct from the makers. The Spanish makers want to know why they are not selling as many guns in the USA as several years before. The US market was at one time their biggest. Not now. So give me your input so I can forward your concerns and ideas back to them. Helping with this will help them understand what going on in the US to better address concerns about their products and distribution in the US

Thanks a bunch

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston, TX

Sample gun. Bench made game ejector gun with 29" 1/4-3/4 choked barrels. Side lock with hidden lock release 100% hand engraved, top of rib cut with file by hand, stock finishing by hand with fine checkering including butt plate with oval grip. It listed for $2800 and sold months later for about $2000. That was fine quality VERTICAL game gun from highly regarded maker plus perfect balance and weight of about 7lb. Conclusion>>>>locally the market for fine Spanish guns does not exist.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.