May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mike Harrell, prairie ghost), 701 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,607
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glen, I admire your efforts to bring onto the "Market' a Good Skeleton Butt Protector" I know full well the 'Hours" that you have spent from the 1st Sketch' to this point . Have you fitted one onto,(In-to?) a stock? Over the years, I have made 'From Scratch, many"Skels" and "Full Butt-Plates" (A real Pain in the Butt!!!If I could make one small comment, I would give an Option on the screw heads,slotted or 'UN-slotted'.For some of us that came up in the Trade , Its quicker &cleaner to work with a 'Raw-Head' than aPre cut slot', Are you making the 1 Depth size (top to toe)???I wish you'Good-Sales', Trevallion @ C/C.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, Glenn:
I've been in the market for some of these for the past couple of years, yours looks super. Please let me know price and delivery. Do you plan to make heel-and-toe clips also?

P.S. How's the BPCS season going?
Craig Libhart

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

Thanks for your interest and ideas. I will try to answer a few the questions.

The screws heads are tall. If I recall correctly they will be about .050" proud when seated. The thinking was that the shoulder could be set back to clock the screws, and then file them down flush with the plate.

The angled screw head is an interesting idea. I can see some difficulties but it could make the edge of the screw all but invisible. We will have a look at this.

Mr. T., next time we make the screws we can certainly take the slots out of some of them. But you know how much work it is going to be removing them slots. It's gonna cost ya'.

Craig: Heel and toe clips are certainly a possibility, but we will have to build some fixturing to make them. As for the shooting it, like everything else, was set back a couple months by my shoulder issues. Things are pretty much back in order now and I have just begun to shoot again.

Doug: I will bring the prototype to Northbrook but I don't expect to have any production pieces there. I think it will take about a week longer as I have a client who wants me to spend next week putting his rifle together so it is done in time for that show.

As for the price, there's the rub. We were originally quoting $100 for the plate but have discovered considerable more work in it than we originally thought. Therefore we have had to raise the price to $115. We will re-evaluate this after we have made batch or two of them, but this should be a workable figure.

In regards to ordering, we already have some orders and will fill them first. (Yes Dennis, your name is on the list) If you are interested in placing an order please write me at gfewless@tds.net and put something about butt plates in the subject line. Send no money, we will work out the billing when we have a product to ship. The Customer Satisfaction Policy will be pretty simple: if you are not happy with our product then we are not happy with your money and will trade you back even up.

Regards to all,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Glenn Fewless]The screws heads are tall. If I recall correctly they will be about .050" proud when seated. The thinking was that the shoulder could be set back to clock the screws, and then file them down flush with the plate.

Glenn,
I was thinking similarly, but then noted the slots were very deep and not much material left between the bottom of the slot and shoulder. If this were to be the technique, it would require nearly half the screw thread pitch to be removed on the shoulder in worse case fits where a slot was clocked just past the desired alignment and required nearly half a turn to correct. I'm beginning to think along the lines of Doctor T. Big long heads about 1/2" long without slots or with slots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pictures look as if Chuck is right about the slot depth being a little deep for a full half turn relief of the shoulder, but I'm sure the designers will take care of that on the production models. It sure is nice to have someone else take care of the slotting and just leave the dressing of the screw heads for the fitters. I'm not good at any of it so welcome all assistance. I love those square edges.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

The slot depth is a Catch-22 thing. The trouble is that the plate is only .100" thick. (we experimented with different thicknesses and it was thought that thicker stock made for a less attractive plate.) Therefore counterbores are only .065" deep. It is a pretty fine line between having a slot deep enough to be usable and having enough stock under the slot to hold everything together. This is unavoidably a compromise and there is no complete answer to the problem other than un- or shallow- slotted screws.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always drilled the holes for the screws oversized. Coated the screws and skel with release agent and glassed the screws in clocked perfectly. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thinness of the plate (a desired effect) is the engineer's reason to have countersunk holes instead of flat bottom holes. Don't get me wrong, I like the flat bottom holes, but as Glenn suggests, it limits the versatility of screw slot depth. It also makes perfect screw head fitting more difficult. I'm glad it's not me doing the final design. I like to sleep a few hours every night. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to a finer pitch thread on the screw. It will hold just as well in dense stock wood and allow for minimal removal of material from the shoulder of the screw when adjusting the slots for the 'north/south' fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Glenn, here's what I think. Why not just forget the screws or the holes and let everyone drill their own holes and make their own screws. That way everybody's happy!

Doug Mann
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.