April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (WJW, barrel browner), 401 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
In 1997 you were selling a new small bore Arrieta 570 for $3850. That gun today is $6996, an increase of 81%. The average household income in the USA in 1997 was $54,000 and today it is $51,000. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States) I'm no math wizard, but it seems pretty obvious. I should have taken out a loan back in the 90s and had several Spanish guns built. I would love a heavy frame Arrieta 28 gauge Model 871, but at over $8k not gonna happen, even though it is still a great deal. They used to be an amazing deal and it's hard to forget that.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Demographics and economics play a big part, but also to blame is the undermining of the double gun concept by the makers themselves.

It is easy to superficially copy an English SXS. The problem is that the copy does not have the two basic elements that made the English prototype so coveted: feel and custom fit.

Ironically, autos have progressed and offer stock adjustablity and choke selectivity, while doubles have no similar advance to show, plus they lost the handling and balance of the originals. No wonder the new generation of shooters prefer autos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Formidable podriamos culpar a ex Attorney General Eric Holder. Su rapido y furioso error pone la responsibilidad en los Hispanios que hechan los escopetas muy mucho expensiveo!!Quizas: AYA, Grulla, Armas Garbi,Arrieta y Pedro Arrizabalga. Yo crelo que Sr. Holder estan un borrachon y gringo muy estupido, porque el costo de su Craso error con los Banditoes Mexicanos, y nosotros estan pagando eso costo. Que lastima!! El Zorro

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover: Very astute observation! I own both English and Spanish doubles and you're right on the money. Best definition of the gulf between them I've seen yet.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/30/14 01:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing no one seems to have addressed is the marketing or lack there of for Spanish guns. I know they are advertised in Shooting Sportsman and one or two other pubs but these are really niche or limited distribution rags.

If you look at the market from an affordability/income standpoint, there are customers out there who just don't now it. And they never will.

You say that the number of shooters desiring a SXS or wanting to hunt with one is small. So is the market for 4x4's for folks who actually need them. Its all marketing. how else do you sell a $50,000+ 4x4 SUV to an urban dweller and he thinks he really needs its capabilities? Marketing.

Maybe oversimplifying it but using the usual "Tony G does it" mantra; well its true, he does do it. And his marketing strategy is???
Yes costs impact demand but marketing is used to get people to buy crap they don't need!
So, if you want to appeal to the old fogey crowd, by all means SS is the way but for the 30 something's, I think a better approach is needed.

maybe I am nuts but its part of the problem

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

That better approach Brian is realisable only via TACTILE selling. If you do not heft a really good double your appreciation is limited to visual impact.

Once a potential buyer shoulders a good double, and his body, not his brain, gets that feel of proper balance, then he will understand that his hunting pleasure will increase. It is a matter of pleasure, not investment. Till that message can put across he will go by visuals and price.

A story. When I was 19 shopping at Whaley's gunshop in London eyeing a new 1100 at 140 sterling, he took a Webley and Scott, at 156 sterling, and put it in my hands. "See what you think of this one" he said. The contrast was telling, but then the price difference was only 16 pounds.

Can we get back to that kind of price difference? Ingenuity and technology can do it, but mental inertia won't allow it.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 09/30/14 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To add some names to the above assertion that ingenuity and technnology can render a good handling double, at a price comparable to a good modern auto.

If you ever come across a Bernardelli folding Game Gun, yes folding and cheap I know, pick it up and heft it. It is a super example of a good handling double that can be offered at less than 1500 USD and would sell if the client picks it up, not just looks at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too expensive for a gun which loses about 50% just walking out of the showroom. Too little money chasing that price range at the moment. Too many good competitors, especially from Italy and from Galazan. Last gun I bought was an Italian O/U hand finished and engraved used at $6000 and it is extremely well done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want a hand-made game gun, on a frame scaled to the gauge, very nice wood, hand-engraving, two triggers and a dainty splinter, then Spain still provides the best gun for your money. I'll admit, most of that may make you a purest, but the originals that these guns are copying are all getting fairly old, somewhat fragile, and more importantly, noticeably more expensive as well. I'm grateful that Tony Galazan is still making decent American double guns, but....human hands never touched the RBL during it's manufacture, and O/Us will always be target guns to me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Get comments from you guys, very helpful.

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.