May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,131
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#378348 09/21/14 06:17 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have any experience to share with these loads? Pattern tight? Effective?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the weight/specific gravity of those pellets? Hevi-Shot is now a company and not just a shot maker. When they started out with only the very dense (and hard) material, it was extremely effective. Patterned well out of everything I tried. In my opinion now they are trading on that reputation, as a lot of their loads are not all that dense, and they make it a real chore to figure out exactly what shot material is in the cartridges. Hevi-Shot Goose was the only one as dense as the original, at least last time I checked. None of the loads, except their steel loads, are lighter than lead - also last time I checked - but I can't see where they are worth a premium either. And most of their pellets I would not send down the barrel of a good double. Their Classic Doubles is okay for that duty, but I'm not much of a Bismuth fan. I shoot a lot of Hevi-Shot (Goose) and Kent Impact at waterfowl and both work well. I love the Kent stuff, but it is hard to find and darned expensive. Remington HD was also great, and I was sad to see it go.

Last edited by Virginian; 09/21/14 06:53 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Virginian
What's the weight/specific gravity of those pellets? Hevi-Shot is now a company and not just a shot maker. When they started out with only the very dense (and hard) material, it was extremely effective. Patterned well out of everything I tried. In my opinion now they are trading on that reputation, as a lot of their loads are not all that dense, and they make it a real chore to figure out exactly what shot material is in the cartridges. Hevi-Shot Goose was the only one as dense as the original, at least last time I checked. None of the loads, except their steel loads, are lighter than lead - also last time I checked - but I can't see where they are worth a premium either. And most of their pellets I would not send down the barrel of a good double. Their Classic Doubles is okay for that duty, but I'm not much of a Bismuth fan. I shoot a lot of Hevi-Shot (Goose) and Kent Impact at waterfowl and both work well. I love the Kent stuff, but it is hard to find and darned expensive. Remington HD was also great, and I was sad to see it go.

I don't know and that's why I'm asking for actual user experience here.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Virginaian, thanks for the info. I've read your thoughts on HS loads on other boards and others that are similar to yours (perhaps they are copying your notes). I've also read mixed reviews on the "Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles", but I can't seem to find any user comments on this HS Pheasant load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the ones I've dissected there is a lot of buffer and some odd barbell/hour glass type shot. I for sure pattern it before I headed out with it but a few of my hunting party swear by it(not the pheasant type as per the thread).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm going to pattern one later today and see what they look like. (after the Packer game!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Hevi-Shot looked atrocious, but patterned phenomenally. Sort of flies in the face of "roundness is good". They have won the turkey patterning contest (I forget the details) like 13 years running. I have patterned Hevi-Shot Duck, Classic Doubles, and Turkey 13 in addition to the Goose and it all performed very well on paper. You're smart to pattern it out of your gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Still looks atrocious! I did some of the pre-patterning preliminaries and the shot charge weighed 492 grains and the reloading chart I have says 1 1/8 oz. should weigh 492.2 grains. They counted out to 250 pellets and the chart says there should be 253 in 1 1/8 oz. of 6 shot. I was surprised that those numbers were so close. They also had 37.5 grains of buffer material.

The shiny shot is nickel plated 6 shot from Precision Reloading.

I weighed 10 groups of 10 Hevi-Shot pellets and they averaged 20.4 grains per 10. (High 22.0, low 18.3)

The nickel 6's were about identical at 20.1 per 10.

Next I'll go shoot a couple patterns through my .005 SK choke in my 686 at 25 yards and compare them to some recent patterns with the NP 6's. Should be interesting.

Last edited by Dave Erickson; 09/21/14 05:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What are those, pumpkin seeds? Yep, same type shot & odd that many are concerned with the spherical nature of the shot & these are like tossing barbells down range.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What say you?

These first two are with the SK .005 tube at 25 yards. The shotgun bore is .733 FWIW.

These next two are at 35 and 40 yards with the Mod .020 choke.

These loads do kick! More than I thought they would for 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 fps, but then all that buffers adds in there, too.

Based on what I see I might have Briley make up another tube with .000 constriction. My Skeet tube seems tight for pointed pheasants. I have a feeling straight cylinder will be more than tight enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.