April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 394 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget that his second try at politics ( the Bull Moose Party) was a failure. What would modern day liberals say if another Republican did something like he did to Columbia to get the canal going again.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, I agree we need someone of Teddy's caliber today, and there's no one in sight who could hold a candle to him. He was not without major flaws, but his virtues out-weighed his faults. His was a thorough racist and a ruthless bully against those he did not respect. But no politician today seems to care much about the poor. Some are trying to salvage the middle class but with no visible effect. Our country is run by "the interests" TR fought so hard. We have the finest government money can buy.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
It seems to me a weak federal government caused the Great Depression, and a lack of proper regulation caused the bust in Reagan's presidency and in Bush's. States' rights seem small change compared to letting big money do whatever they please to get even bigger.

I agree that the Lesser Depression was caused by weak regulation. But it was also caused by Barney Frank and friends mandating home loans to unqualified borrowers and by the lending of the semi-government corporate entities Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Eliminate Frank's sub-prime law or the central government's participation in mortgage loans and you don't have the situation that the weak regulators failed to detect and correct.

Rich people are always over-represented in government. It is better to have them over-represented in a small weak central government than over-represented in huge powerful central government. If the gorilla weighs 200 pounds instead of 800 pounds the selection of the gorilla handler is not as critical.

I enjoy your posts too. Much to admire about the Roosevelts. Much to criticize too.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craigd, Check your "facts".

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

TR was a revelation to me. My wife turned to me, said, "I didn't know he was a man of such liberal values." I said I didn't know either.

It was a time when one person could make a great difference in shaping a country. Couldn't happen today when we need them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

king: watt we need today is the kind of inspired leadership as provided by fdr and reagan...

thought sarah palin could have been the one. guess not...

dr. ben carson now comes too mind.

just finished his book,"one nation"...highly recommend it. his take on the second amendment debate is particularly interesting.

Last edited by ed good; 09/19/14 05:02 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been wading through the latest volume of Robert Carow's LBJ biography. I have read the earlier volumes. The biography is well written. I just get so disgusted with LBJ I have to put the book down for a few months.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

TR was certainly progressive, but never advocated redistribution, nor rewarding sloth and irresponsibility. He fully recognized that the rich, educated, and powerful had an advantage, but with that privilege came obligations.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled to, and less than that no man shall have."
Speech at Springfield, Illinois (4 July 1903)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Craigd, Check your "facts".

Can do Bill. Steer me in the right direction, and I'll fix it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Redistribution isn't a bad word in Canada, Drew. Federal equalization grants go to provinces not doing as well as others to maintain national standards in education, health etc.

Ontario, a have-not once the country's industrial heartland, now is a beneficiary of sharing the national wealth. Oil-rich Newfoundland, once a "have-not" province, now contributes to Ontario.

Our western provinces were basket cases until until oil, potash discovered under them made them the beating heart of Canada's economy. It's all a noblesse oblige, a responsibility of privilege.

My opinion is that the US has the same responsibilities of managing a world empire. China's students are leading in science and math. Canada's educational system is near the top. US is around 25th in world rankings.

China's patents are increasing exponentially. US engineers who won the space race are retiring. China will eclipse US GDP within 20 years. Redistribution isn't without controversy but goes a long way toward greater equality.

I agree with TR's sense of noblesse oblige, "with privilege comes obligations." It's a federal policy here. Overall redistribution has been satisfactory. Sloth and irresponsibility seems to me equally distributed in societies.

Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.