April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, Chad Linder, ClapperZapper, Jason Dubois, 2 invisible), 967 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,236
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37736 04/29/07 04:00 PM
OP Offline

I have seen the article on butt transplants by David Trevallion and Michael McIntosh and was wondering if anyone has had one performed. If so, were you satisfied with the outcome? What is a good cost estimate, and who would you recommend for such a procedure?

riflecat #37738 04/29/07 04:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may do a search through the records for one done by Chuck H. If I remember correctly, he did a 3 inch add on and wasn't happy with it, so he did a cut off near the grip. Hopefully he will chime in and set me straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several pics of Chuck's start here on the 'Repairs and Restorations' PictureTrail
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view...amp;offset=1000
and don't miss the pic of the just ever so slightly off-plumb butt transplant that hit the 'Trevallion Infirmary' for the cure

Last edited by revdocdrew; 04/29/07 04:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are there any pictures of Chuck H's stock after being finished?

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
If you find some, I'll be thrilled. I haven't found the time to get over to my friends shop to bore the thru-bolt hole shown in this pic. Once that's done, it's fairly straightforward work. So many things going on that I just can't find time. Soon, soon, ...really.

BTW, for those of you contemplating doing this yourself, I'd highly recommend laying it all out, in full size tracings, on craft paper. Include the barrels and especially the rib line and desired comb line, butt length, lower line of the stock, etc.

When you have it all layed out, you can determine the best cut line for the grip,
1)cut and finish the grip mortise, (this cut locates the joint, so try to place it in the checkering of the grip as much as practical while maintaining all the dimensions for strength)
2)put the grip on the gun back on the craft paper layout, transfer the line of the grip joint to the craft paper
3)lay the new blank on craft paper layout, ensuring the comb and other periphery lines are within the blank's size (be generous and allow at least a 1/2")
4)transfer the joint line as accurately as possible to the new blank (an error in angle will shift the butt up or down, so take care that the angle is correct)
5)cut the new blank joint angle and finish the tenon.
6)dry fit the butt blank to the grip and assemble on the gun and place on the craft layout.
7)doublecheck the comb, butt, and all other periphery lines to the butt blank.
8)I had enough wood to leave a chunk near the comb that allowed for easier clamping (see pics), but you could also glue a piece on to help anchor the clamp or put a screw in from under the triggerguard tang slot as Mr T recommends.
9)Glue the butt to the grip
(for drawbolt guns, you'll need to drill it at this time)
10) place the fully assembled gun on the craft layout and check again, layout your final lines
11) cut the comb line and other periphery lines leaving a bit for working it down. (at least 1/8" or a little more).
12) work the butt shape and dimensions to suit you.

Chuck H #37895 04/30/07 10:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,Bloody "Eloquent".....Just putting the 2nd ShotGun/Tech. together with 'Old Knobbly-Knees'McIntosh.Would like to put a 'Update Chapter" using your and'Other Stockers' Methods for 'Sticking the New butt onto the Old Guy'..I wish I still had the Joe Manton db circa 1816 that started me 'Re'Butting'..It was dovetailed in from the side, right into the middle of the Grip.. 'Aint much new in this game'.Have just had a call from the owner of the Beretta 20 O/U that is pictured in S/Gun/Tech. P.60. Its now in the hands of the 5th Owner since I'Transplanted the Butt-End!Has been to South America,Dove-Shooting 4 times!!!And lives on a S Carolina Plantation.Keep those Great Photos coming in...DeltaTango.out..C/C

riflecat #37945 05/01/07 10:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doctor T,
You're gonna force me to finish this, eah?
Alright, I'll try to get to my friend's machine shop and bore that hole and hog out the lightening slot in the next few weeks.

I'd be honored to have my work in your book. I'll send all the full file size pics I took and the ones from boring the hole also and you can chose what you like. The one above is editted to add the colored lines, of course.

Chuck H #38312 05/04/07 12:27 AM
OP Offline

Chuck, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind. Unfortunately, I have neither the tools or skills to do it myself. And even more unfortunately, my gun and funds are not Purdey-quality either.

riflecat #38318 05/04/07 02:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of notes on hole boring in stocks.

A Shopsmith works pretty well as a horizontal drill press. You can block up the work on the table and clamp it rock-steady. Eyeball the center line marked on the outside, and you will come out very well. Of course a lathe, center-to-center works even better.

Use a "gun drill" to make the through-bolt hole. It's drill rod of proper diameter cut to about a 45 radius on the business end, slightly relieved to form a cutting edge. Before cutting the radius, mill a lengthwise slot in the rod taking out a quarter section, 3 or 4 inches from the end. This is for the shavings. These bits go slow requiring many in and outs to clean chips, but they don't wander.

Have fun and good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CK,
I've got access to a Bridgeport to do the work. Your suggestion to use a gundrill is genious IMO. I'm amazed that it hasn't been brought up in the other numerous threads I've seen on drilling stocks. All that 'brace n bit' stuff aint for me. I'm very familiar with gundrills but hadn't thought of it till you mentioned it. Making one should be a snap. I've made other drill types and special pitch taps in the past.

In my case, I don't have to drill too far. Just have to go from the glueline to the bottom of the lightening pocket, then I'll pilot the counterbore on the hole and c'bore down to that blue line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.