April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, canvasback, WBLDon, graybeardtmm3, 2 invisible), 207 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

what is the best way to remove heavy rust from guns a and rifles? i am guessing that the electrolysis or whatever it is called, is the best but i don't know.i have a friend in baton rouge, la who wants to get some badly rusted guns cleaned up so he can figure out exactly what he has.

anyone have suggestions?

thanks!

skunk out

skunk out
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

a large ultra sonic would be ideal, short of that a sharpened piece of brass, steel wool, oil and elbow grease.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never used electrolysis on guns or gun parts, but, it is the cat's meow for cast iron automotive or tractor parts. I used Red Devil lye in the water, and a piece of stainless steel plate as the electrode thingy, because the rust that is drawn off the to be cleaned part migrates toward the stainless, and then falls to the bottom of the tank. The metal parts come out clean, with a raw cast iron color.
I used a 50 gallon "pickle barrel" made of plastic, and an old 12 volt battery charger. It works like a charm. You can google for more information. You shouldn't do it in an enclosed area, as it generates some hydrogen gas, but, it works excellent.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be helpful if you or your friend could post some pictures.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks for the replies and please keep them coming!

these guns were in a fire and stored in wet conditions, even by south louisiana standards. they are toast, but my friend did want to see what they started out as, plus there is the one in a billion chance that he gets lucky and something is usable.

i am looking to use something other than acids if possible. i told him i would ask around so i am throwing it out there

skunk out

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Evaporust.

Google will give you lots of information.

Used on all the metal parts of this shotgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436794853

I use electrolysis also, but this is easier.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the rust is heavy. Turco, removes the rust and will not remove the base Metal. It is best used by professionals in a descaling operation. While it is very effective you will then have to dispose of the Turco properly

Sidelock
Sidelock

For really heavy rust, it is more economical to physically remove some of the rust with wire brush or wire wheel first so as not to deplete your rust remover or waste electricity if using electrolysis.

I've used Evaporust and electrolysis with good results. Another effective product that will not eat the base metal is Rust Beeter which is made from dried sugar beets. It is mixed with water and the rusted parts are left in the slurry for as many days as necessary. You can also buy molasses from a feed store and dilute it with water at a 6:1 or 8:1 ratio for a slow but cheap and effective rust remover. This does work better in warmer weather. It can take a week or two, but it's a lot cheaper than the $20 a gallon Evaporust.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boric acid is also effective and inexpensive. You can buy it as roach powder at the store. Mix six heaping tablespoons per gallon of hot water. Make sure any oil is removed before the soak. I soak for at least 30 mins. Then, rinse under hot water while scrubbing with a new green ScotchBrite pad. It's very effective. If the rust is heavy, I'd wire wheel it first. It's what I use for rust and bluing removal.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Though I have never used electrolyses for removing rust from guns or their associated parts I have used it a lot when restoring other items. The electrolyte I use is what we Brits call Washing Soda you folks will know it as Sodium Carbonate at a rate of a Brit half cup to the gallon of water yes! The brit cup and gallon are bigger but the amounts will even themselves out if you stick to the US Versions and it is not at all critical. I do prefer to use rain water but there is the choice of demineralised water the reason I mention the water is that some household tap waters hold a lot of dissolved minerals and they can cause problems (my Brit to American Dictionary says Brit ‘Tap’ is American ‘Fawcet or Faucet. Help which is the correct spelling pleas). One personal observation I found was the rust removal was always more complete on the side of the part you are treating facing the anode (+ve). So I use an anode plate that is circular stainless steel and the object I wish to de-rust is positioned in the centre also I use stainless steel wire as the connection to the part I want to de-rust (-ve). To provide the power I use a 12 volt automobile battery charger supplying between 2 and 4 amps. Also I found that the process moves along much faster if you clean down to brightish metal at the place where you attach the connection to the article you wish to de-rust.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.