April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, ivanhoe, Karl Graebner, Mark II, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 444 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are certainly other ways to build a cocking piece aperture
base utilizing any number of slides, etc. PhysDoc's is a great example. From a study perspective I hope to add one of these (original configuration,on a rifle) to my collection someday. To build one of these in the original pattern, I am out. I have the equipment but not the time. I am so slow that I cannot imagine how long it might take. From a using perspective the Rigby pattern is my favorite cocking piece sight and practical to use. It is lighter and I think that matters with all of these variations hanging on the rear of the bolt. All that said it is hard to improve on the Lyman 48, and the Hoffman patterns whether cross dovetailed or the flip up that are rigidly mounted to the rear bridge. Great historical story of Howe-Whelen collaboration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Steven for sharing the link. The download went well and I did own both of those books until a few years ago when I gave my copies to a young man who wanted to learn about gunsmithing. It was a good move for me and him.
As to making these sights, about the last thing I can think of that I would want to go into business doing is making sights (however taking up the gunsmithing trade in general ranks right up there smile )
The problem is what would you make and for which gun, definitely not 1903's they are along with the 98's are obsolete for anything other then the connoisseur custom rifle builders. Maybe M70's but that's iffy also. Remington 700's....not on your life. Ruger...the next good rifle they make will be their first (IMHO).
If I make one it will be one and only one and for one of my M70 rifles only. I do not copy someone else's blueprint. Its not about making stuff for me its all about design.

Last edited by LRF; 07/31/14 05:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back to the stock.

Michael was always curious as to why we have not see more of these, so there alone I believe is where the curiosity was.

i

jke Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Steven said it once, I think it is worth repeating. "glacial lock-time?!"

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would agree that the lock time is "glacial", however I must qualify that by saying it would be the same as a standard 1903 Springfield, since the firing train mechanism for this sight setup and that of the standard rifle are unchanged. The Howe-Whelen parts do not include a cocking piece or any other firing train parts. It is only a modification to the bolt sleeve/shield.
On the other hand, the other sight pictures, shown above, of the sight mounted to the back of the cocking piece will definitely show a decline in lock time because of the added weight in the firing train.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Its really great to see the fine prices folks are willing to pay for the very nice items that Michael collected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF....absolutely!! Like I said better jump on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Joe is doing a very fine job of disposing of some of the smaller items in Michaels collection of gun parts. I was going to bid on the Borchardt stock and forearm even though it was right handed and I am a southpaw, but it soon zoomed way out of my Pension pay grade.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you All for your compliments. ... and patience while I sort through Michael's items and try to post lots that make sense. I have been pleasantly surprised, in some cases very surprised, by the values of his items.

As you can imagine, Michael had an incredible research library. Many of you have watched a hundred or so books listed and sold on eBay already, but there are many, many more to go. I have to try to incorporate 10-20 books in every auction going forward.

My wife refers to my auction listings as my "part time job", following my full time job in an office -and responsibilities as a father and husband. The opportunity to handle and research these items and flip through Michael's books has been incredible.

I sometimes laugh to myself because I am reminded of a memory from last year when Michael and I were helping sort through the estate of a fellow gun collector and gunsmith, John Wills. Michael stood in John's gunroom shaking his head and said, "You know ... John and I had a deal that whoever died first, the other would be responsible for taking care of the other's gunroom. ... BUT I was supposed to go first!" ... and he laughed. Now I am standing in Michael's gunroom and home office shaking my head and thinking, "nice work fellas ... now both of you have stuck me with both your gunrooms!" But seriously, this has been an incredible opportunity both wives have given me and it's something I wouldn't turn away.

Thank you to all of you for your support by continuing to watch my auctions. I appreciate the help from many of you in correctly identifying items that I mis-labeled or didn't identify correctly.

Thanks again ...
Joe D

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.