April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, ClapperZapper, Fudd, Southern Sport), 420 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,153
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

wonderful thread.

somebody needs to write a book!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your request is noted and is a re-occurring theme.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Thanks for posting the pictures. As soon as I get it I'll attempt to post some pictures of the action and barrel flats. I'll try to do it via my Android pad.

As I see it, the pin pattern appears to be the same as that of an early Lindner gun posted earlier in this thread.

Your last question was cut off in the post. Is there any info I can provide you, or do you have any thoughts about the gun you'd like to share before I receive it? Right now all the info I have is what was on the listing.
Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 06/14/14 01:35 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the action flats.

The serial #707 is on the receiver, forend, and barrels. The barrel flats have the initials "PB" within an oval, as well as the serial number. There is also "15" stamped near the serial number on the barrels. About an inch from the flats each barrel is stamped with a small number or letter "0" and the number "11". There also appears to be a small Prussian Eagle on the action flats, it's near the right action face, but it's hard to see in the picture. That's all the markings I can find. Am I right in thinking that this could be one of Georg's guns?

Thanks
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 07/24/14 10:06 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Daly purchased a gesteck or parts kit from Birmingham & had a team assemble and complete it in Suhl. Somewhere in this thread there is an image of an encircled PB on a flat.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks,

I found it. Sooo, this is one of the 15000 range serial number guns that had British parts but was finished by Georg in Suhl. The action is similar to the Golcher gun pics earlier in the thread as well as the W.C. Scott. How would you categorize this gun? Birmingham-sourced Suhl-finished?
Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd really like to see the marks. Can you take a large diameter magnifier & snap an image thru that in white light? Nah, not really Birmingham sourced as one unit unless it wears a contingent of Birmingham marks. I'd say the tubes were knitted and that component along with the frame was/were in a very blocky rudimentary state. The bulk of fine fitting, profiling, polishing and detail work was performed by a small talented pool of Suhl mechanics with which Charles Daly had a loose association. It wasn't until the mid 1870s that Charles Daly truly defined his primary sourcing, which was thru H.A. Lindner. I suspect that during the early years in the interim period that not only was H.A. Lindner learning his craft, but in Lindner Charles Daly was cultivating exactly the aesthetics required for the American market. It was a pairing that just would not have succeeded without all the principal players. And S,D&G benefited greatly in the monetary realm.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Daly 10 bore hammergun in the 157xx serial number range:

Then encircled PB is the same as that of Joe Wood's latest acquisition and in the same location. But the stamp on Joe Wood's appears to have a couple of efforts.

Just pulled some images from many pages back.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine, 15,251 you refer to, has every single part stamped with the number, even including the steel buttplate! What really puzzles me is the laminated barrels carry the Birmingham provisional proof only and the ribs are brazed on!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the barrel flats. Whew, I think I'm finally getting this picture posting process down.

Thanks
Ken

Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.