May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (HistoricBore, FlyChamps, Jusanothajoe, 3 invisible), 294 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,384
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is this like Mac or PC? Which is better? Do the cutting heads interchange between handles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer a full view handle from Brownells and you can adjust cutting angle with it and either cutter you mentioned will work with it. Both make cutters work well. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

the cutting heads mostly interchange. there is a slight misalignment between the holes but they still work. i like dembarts. the last time i tried to use gunline, the teeth were so coarse that it jumped the tracks more easily than i could deal with. i just checked brownells and what the pics and listings show is either coarse or a finishing grade and their coarse is just way too coarse. for my skill level anyway. the dembarts have been much easier for me to use w/o screwing up.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the old W.E. Brownells cutters. They have individual teeth and can be resharpened with a little knife edge file. I use W.E. Brownells handles exclusively

skunk out
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So basically we're saying what ever is comfortable for you. I have both and you are right the Gunline is very coarse. Good to know they interchange though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For laying out the checkering Gunline two line cutter is fastest for me because you can cut from right to left or left to right without using another cutter.On dembart which work very well you have to have a right to left and another left to right cutter.I use F1 dembart single line cutters to recut patterns and sharpen up diamonds. I do not like Gunline single line cutters,only the two line spacer. Bobby

Neither of them last very long. You need carbide cutters if you plan to do more than one or two stocks.

Gun line short cutter requires a special handle.

Gun line offers a 60 degree cutter, useful for older guns that don't have pointed diamonds. For true flat diamonds, you have to make your own cutter.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not having used Gunlines, I'd go for DemBarts over the full view Brownell's handle. DemBarts work fine for me. OTOH, the Brownell handle seems to squeak and chatter. I tried Ken Hurst's suggestion of using epoxy around the cutter. Didn't work. Then I wapped a rubber band around it to act as a damper. Didn't work. Maybe it's the combination of the cutter and the specific piece of wood I'm currently checkering. I go with the DemBart handle and a single line fine cutter. Works for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Removed a double post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"So basically we're saying what ever is comfortable for you."

That's probably it. FWIW, I use all Dembart. I don't care for carbide or lifetime anything. I want to put in fresh, sharp, cheap and disposable when the mood strikes me. I don't use the safe-sided spacers; I start the layout with the same 2-line cutter that will take me tohrough at least 3-4 passes. I tried a see-through handle and couldn't love it. Hell, I read the books and built a cradle and it's been collecting dust in the rafters for 30 yrs. I do use pinstriping tape a whole lot more than I've seen others suggest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.