May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Birdog, Ken Nelson, LGF, AGS, dukxdog), 1,003 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,842
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 58 59
Sidelock
Sidelock

Published by the NRA:

Thomas Jefferson on The Right to Bear Arms

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

-- Letter to John Cartwright, 1824. (The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Memorial Edition (ME), Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, 20 Vols., Washington, D.C., 1903-04, 16:45.

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."

-- Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

"I learn with great concern that [one] portion of our frontier so interesting, so important, and so exposed, should be so entirely unprovided with common fire-arms. I did not suppose any part of the United States so destitute of what is considered as among the first necessaries of a farm house."

-- Letter to Jacob J. Brown, 1808. ME 11:432

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)."

-- Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776. Papers 1:353

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important."

-- Letter to -----, 1803. ME 10:365

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

-- Letter to Peter Carr, 1785. ME 5:85, Papers 8:407

The above were gathered en masse from the website Thomas Jefferson On Politics & Government: Quotations from the Writings of Thomas Jefferson, compiled and edited by Eyler Robert Coates, Sr. of Metairie, Jefferson Parish, La.

The site contains more than 2,700 excerpts from Jefferson`s writings, chosen, Coates says, "not for their historical significance, but as an expression of Jefferson`s PRINCIPLES of government that have relevance for us today."

"The principles of Jefferson are the axioms of a free society."

--Abraham Lincoln

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

sxs: very interesting... what is your point in posting the above here?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

" the wording of the second amendment is precise, so we all know we have the right to keep and bear arms. but what those arms are is left to interpretation"

So obviously "firearms", as used by the military and the militias of the time was covered and is covered. And the Supreme Court ruled that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right, militia or not.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PS ed, tell me what guns you would like to ban. Be specific. No more "drive-by" posts.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/07/14 05:46 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And who are you, ED?

You say you support Rick Perry, yet you profess views that are contrary to his. At least I'm philosophically consistent, and willing to back up my views.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

mike: I agree, the right to keep and bear arms as defined by the supreme court is an individual right.

and I do not wish to ban any firearms that I can think of...

however, I do think we should discuss the possible benefits of restriction of possession of semiautomatic high capacity firearms, in order to promote the general welfare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK ed, first define the semi-automatic high capacity firearms you are talking about restricting. Removable magazine and/or non-removable magazine? And define at what number of rounds those magazines become "high capacity"? Rifle and/or pistol? And then tell me what the benefits are of restricting the ones you want to restrict.

Edit: And tell me what your restrictions are.

Again, be specific, no drive-by posts.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we should restrict hacks and thieves who torch guns then sell them to unsuspecting buyers-with deceptive pictures and then attack other who sell guns he does not deal in.

Ed right down there with your hypocrisy is the "I got mine and screw every one else" attitude you have-what a despicable low life you are and from the " Live Free Or Die" state you should know better but your too much of a inbred coward to realize it.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed you can torch all the guns you want I don't give a shit but Jim, DaveK, keith, PA24, Ken61, myself and a host of others will be damned if we're going to let you torch our 2nd Ammendment. Go back to your drug/alcohol induced coma or better yet go sit in the neighbor kid's sandbox and dig for cat turds. Just get the hell out of our faces.

Mike I'm not going to donate to the ban ed good fund. Instead I cut another donation check to the NRA. God Bless them.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ken: please splan what views I profess that are contrary to those philosophically held by rick perry? I don't know of any. do you? have you read rick perry's book. I have.

and if you really want to know who I am, log on to gunsamerica.com and search for items for sale by ed good.

and who and what are you?

Page 3 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 58 59

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.