March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well you may never get the chance even if your lottery ticket comes up. There is an on line petition to get it banned. Here is a link to an on line petition to keep it. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/66219 Please sign in. It is a big revenue earner with overseas visitors coming to shoot so your input will be helpful. Thanks. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus:

The electronic link indicates that you must be a UK citizen or normally reside in the UK to sign the petition.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have signed

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has my signature because I would want others in the future to know the thrill of attending their first Grouse shoot.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope driven shooting does not go the way of riding to the hounds in Merry Olde England!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why is it that every imported culture must be kept whole and sacred but that of the host country must confirm to enlightened modern standards? For example Fox hunting is cruel and must be stopped but immigrants are barely expected to learn the host countries language. Now driven bird hunting may be lost as well.

Driven shooting may be lost without thought to the real consequence to bird population of both the hunted and non hunted birds. Left to their own devices and without careful management bird population will not remain at current levels but will almost certainly crash to a fraction of their current levels. Haven't we seen enough decline in bird numbers already? Ban hunting and careful management of land and 99.99% of the birds will be lost. Then when depleted numbers are stressed by drought of other natural stress their complete demise is just one major calamity from extinction. And if prey birds are lost so will all those birds of prey who kill and eat them when given half a chance. Foxes, hawks and other birds of prey will decline as well. Typical fix one problem and cause five others that short sighted experts often create with narrow agendas and feel good solutions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago I had the pleasure of rough hunting and wood pigeon shooting in Scotland. I wanted to experience the origins of wing shooting and I have many fond memories of the experience.

Jim
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry, I didn't realise that only U.K. citizens could sign. Wrong in my opinion because the sport attracts so many from overseas.

Jim, if you have been pigeon shooting then you have experienced the best type of shooting there is in my opinion. I'd rather have an evening pigeon flighting or a days decoying to a days pheasant shooting any time. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, pigeon shooting is a lot of fun and we used decoys and had a pile of birds.

Jim
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
And if prey birds are lost so will all those birds of prey who kill and eat them when given half a chance. Foxes, hawks and other birds of prey will decline as well.

KY Jon - not sure I agree with this. Unless grouse moor management has changed since I studied it in the early 1970's (Master's degree at U. Aberdeen), gamekeepers kill every animal which could conceivably eat a grouse or an egg. They were the reason that peregrines, kites and eagles were exterminated in Scotland. Back then, a keeper's gibbet displayed everything from foxes through owls, ravens, stoats, weasels and even moles -an appalling slaughter of predators. Of course, killing raptors was not legal even then, but I heard of keepers being fired on the spot if a harrier (marsh hawk) was seen on a moor.

Can our UK friends tell us if such severe predator control is still the norm?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.