April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh Lomas), 593 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,258
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JNW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shot the Great Northern in Medford WI this weekend. What a wonderful time! I was amazed at this large, well tended sporting clay club in the middle of Wisconsin. We shot super sporting, sporting clays, pigeon ring and super pigeon. The dinner Saturday night was great. This shoot had excellent vendors - I know of no other event in the Midwest where you can see guns such as were for sale here. I also enjoyed seeing other SxS aficionados shooting their beautiful guns - even in the drizzle. That is what they are for. If you get a chance this shoot is well worth a trip to Wisconsin. I'm going back next year.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jeff, it was a great shoot. I didn't go last year since it was the first year and taking over for the UP shoot which I have been to for seven or so years, I didn't think they could do it, but they did and they hit a Home Run it was great and all of the people were great. Could not ask for a better run shoot. Eric

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was squadded with four Michiganders and we had a great time! Looking forward to next year!

Sidelock
Sidelock

No pictures? Did not happen smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great to hear you "first timers" (but UP Shoot veterans) enjoyed it. I also thought the changes they made--dropping the flurry as part of the "program" (although still available as a side event) and replacing with super sporting and super pigeon worked well. The Medford guys would appreciate any comments you have: what you liked, anything you didn't like, etc. Just shoot them an email.

It is THE side by side event in the Midwest, just as it was when it was held in the UP. One of the Medford organizers asked what attracted people from all over to come to "Podunk" Medford for a shoot. I told him that you can only SEE the end of the world from Medford. Channing, on the other hand, pretty much IS the end of the world--but they flocked there for the UP Shoot for a lot of years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my second Great Northern Shoot & I attended 8 of the UP Shoots.

I think this year's Great Northern was improved by the revised shooting venues & the availability of cart rental which the UP Shoot didn't have is a plus for older shooters.

I & all of my squad enjoyed the shoot & got to see some familiars faces & we will likely be back next year

That said, I think it still falls behind the UP Shoot (at least when Steve Atkinson was ramroding the UP Shoot) in the following areas:

Lack of a central area with cover & seating for socialization with other participants as the Sagola facility had.

No grand prize drawing gun (in fairness the UP Shoot didn't have one the final 2 years either). The chance to win a painting is nice but the UP Grand Prize gun was a much better deal.

Fewer vendors than the UP Shoot normally had.

IMO lesser quality of the Lewis Class prize guns & raffle prizes than was the norm at the UP Shoot (didn't impact me as I won nothing @ either of the Great Northern Shoots).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I attended all the UP shoots but the first, and thought that the prize guns this year, as a group, were as good as they've ever been. The grand prize gun was a deal between Jack Jansma and the UP Shoot. Only guessing, but I think what happened there is that inflation made that prize gun too expensive--even with the club getting a good deal on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mrcsportsmansclub@yahoo.com
I had a great time, the club is looking always looking for ways to improve, Please send them your thoughts. Looking forward to seeing everyone again next year. Larry

JNW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No shoot is perfect. I really enjoyed the UP shoot-went for 6 years in a row. Stopped going when I wound up in the hospital half dead and could not make the UP shoot. Contacted good old Steve a week before the shoot and said I was sick and asked for my $$ back as I pif the year before. He told me to f**k off and that was too bad. He kept all my money and the $50 for my wife's banquet ticket. Never went back. The Medford shoot is pretty spendy. Yes, they give guns away, but only to 7 people. The other 110 of us get little to nothing extra. Problem is there is no where else to do and see this stuff. This is why I started my 16 Gauge shoot- relatively inexpensive and all about shooting, the guns and camaraderie.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 06/20/14 08:59 PM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had attended the UP shoot for over 10yrs in fact it was a big reason I bought at house at the end of the world in Channing. This was my first Great Northern but not my last. I liked all the venues and have thought of some different ways to shoot it. I shoot for fun and on a lot of the stations we shot true pairs just for grins. I think the Super pigeon Ring would be a hoot with true pairs. A friend was going to go also for the first time but a family emergency kept him away. I had E-Mailed the club about the possibility of a refund but got no reply. When I registered I explained the situation and was given a full refund and an adjustment on the cart rental as we went from a 4 person cart to a 2 person. The people couldn't have been nicer. I thought the lunch at the clubhouse a bit spendy but other than that everything was first rate. I would like to see some target variation for next year, 4 report pair is a little boring so some true pairs would be nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.