April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, ivanhoe, Karl Graebner, Mark II, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 444 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
....as to damage of receivers due to recoloring, so far I have yet to have a complaint regarding a damaged receiver, regardless of the method utilized....

Excellent point, why all the drivel about high heat damage.

Sure it's generally about the appearance. For me, I would tend to 1) leave it alone 2) try to have it redone period/maker correct, or 3) well done bone pack colors, 4) torch colors, for me why bother. Doesn't add any material property enhancement, and doesn't look right. Bad lip stick, generally on a pig, I suppose very well does look better to some folks.

There're some really nice cyanide colors, but not my general preference. To my eye, pack coloring well done with one of the endless bone recipes is the cats meow. Like a broken record, not a one peep about over heating anything. I think you hit some price point bling appeal.

Maybe, try putting up a gun for sale at the price that includes the margin for torching. Someone may appreciate it for being unmolested and you stick more cash in your pocket. You could always torch it later and relist it, if needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
ed, your guns have all the beauty of a pool of fresh rain water with a liberal application of diesel fuel on the surface. sick

laugh Thumbs up, Joel.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

drew: the two nid guns you show for comparison are not quite correct for comparison purposes. the first gun you show is an early nid with cocking indicators. the other gun you show is a late nid without cocking indicators. the original case colors on the early and late nid's are not necessarily the same. as I recall the later guns had more green colors.

maybe someone could post pictures of a late nid with known factory case colors for comparison to the late nid shown here. also, it has been my experience that camera flash often distorts true case colors, so it is hard to make accurate comparisons from flash images.

a google search for Ithaca nid revealed images of a 1935 vintage nid with what appear to be original case colors, with lots of green color, not usually observed in the earlier guns.

Last edited by ed good; 06/19/14 03:52 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

now that we are trying to be nice to each other, lets see how far I get with this thread before it blows up in my face.

first, some like erm. some don't.

second, some colors are applied as a by product of heat treating. some colors are applied via a chemical process that does not require enough heat to change the original factory heat treatment of the metal.

third, of those who like receiver case colors, some don't care how the colors are applied; and some, particularly here, insist that the only acceptable method of applying receiver case colors is via a high heat process, that necessitates re heat treating of the receiver metal.

fourth, over the years, I have sold many guns with receivers that have had their case colors replaced. some via the high heat method. some via the low heat method. interestingly, none of my customers have ever complained about the receiver case colors on their new gun. seems like they are happy with the way it looks and really don't care how the colors were applied.

your thoughtful and gentlemanly responses would be appreciated.
Ed, tell you how it is- I gave it some thought, and as I am nowhere near being a Gentleman, as us shanty Mick Irish are- "To the manure born" and not "To the Manor born" as are proper gentleman- I am going to abstain. My 55 plus years in the welding trade, I have used oxy-acetylene torches (mainly Victor) with "rosebud" tips to heat fabrication and lower alloyed carbon steels to bend or shape or form, much as a blacksmith might use his coal forge with the oxygen bellows to do the same, but I have never been asked to apply the 6000 degree neutral flame (or 5600 degree carburizing flame) as taken at the tip of the cone to ANY gun receiver--guess I was never in the right place at the right time for that- You might be in a bit of "Deep Kimshee" here, my friend, trying to re-instate yourself, perhaps walking away from this "Hot topic" may have been, in retrospect, the wiser move-- Who can say???

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mike: what is your motive in covering all bases here?

and what appears obvious to you, is only your assumption, which may or may not be valid. so much of what has been discussed here about this subject is based on assumptions without any foundation in known fact...

expressing ones opinion is one thing. claiming something to be without any factual proof is quite again something else.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jrb: you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are we all.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

foxie: your knowledge of metal working is beyond mine.

however, without factual proof of what appears to be, you like anyone else can only make an assumption based upon what you see.

wheather a torch was involved in recoloring some of the receivers pictured here, is beyond my knowledge, as I was not present when the work was done. and quite frankly, I don't care how the work was done, so long as it does not cause a problem with the gun that it comes back to me... so far, so good. which means, that any receiver that I have had re colored, regardless of the method used, seems to be holding up pretty well. I mean, seven years, plus is a long time.

and, I have not paid to have a shotgun receiver recolored via any method, since 2007, when the economy went south and it no longer made economic sense to put much money into guns to make them more sellable.

Last edited by ed good; 06/18/14 08:51 PM.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

craig: it has been several years, like maybe 10, since I last saw a cracked shotgun receiver, that could be traced to incorrect re heat treatment...I must assume that the novice practitioners have given up and no longer attempt the work...or maybe they learned what to do and what not to do.

Last edited by ed good; 06/18/14 08:58 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Durn hit. Ya nose what they say about assumptions. Some guy named ed will stop by and make one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mike: what is your motive in covering all bases here?

and what appears obvious to you, is only your assumption, which may or may not be valid. so much of what has been discussed here about this subject is based on assumptions without any foundation in known fact...

expressing ones opinion is one thing. claiming something to be without any factual proof is quite again something else.

Well, so much for being nice.

Ed you are full of shit.

I am glad to be here.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.