Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

buzz:
You have the easiest decision here. If you don't like the political discussions in Misfires then DON'T GO THERE!. Now that's pretty simple isn't it.
The political threads that have been started in the main section of the forum have been started by troublemakers who IMO are closet anti-gun individuals.
This thread IMO was nothing more then an attempt to stir up trouble for those on here who genuinely are committed to preserving our gun rights in the hopes Dave would shut down discussion entirely like the Libtards have done in the "mainstream news media" and on other forums.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
because Misfires material is all over the main shotgun forum now, and habitually so.

I don't know about that Buzz, if what you are talking about is the rancorous political stuff. I read this forum pretty regularly, main board and misfires, among other sections. I don't see it. There are two recent threads, including this one, started on the main board by people complaining about Misfires. I would say that those of us interested in the political component of Misfires tend to keep our discussion there.

Now, I could be proven wrong because I have better things to do than sift through hundreds of threads on the main board. But I doubt that a careful examination would find "Misfires material is all over the main shotgun forum now, and habitually so."

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz, I agree with Jim and canvasback. And most of the recent off topic threads that obviously belonged in Misfires were initiated by those who would complain about a Second Amendment topic in a heartbeat.

And since their threads are fare for Misfires, I feel we should be able make a plug for gun rights and the NRA whenever they decide to pollute the DoubleGun forum with their off-topic crap and whining. That'll get them moved to Misfires in a hurry... like this one just did.

In fact, the last few Second Amendment threads which managed to survive in the DoubleGun forum for any length of time were kept very civil and informative by the guys who favor seeing those important topics on the front page. If you pay attention to who makes a fuss about gun rights topics, and also pay attention to their politics, it becomes obvious that most are intent upon silencing any criticism of their extreme anti-gun candidates. Many of them would be thrilled to eliminate Misfires completely for just that very reason. They are outnumbered by pro-gun conservatives. Now who woulda thunk that on a shotgun website??? The rest just don't want to see any mud-slinging, but we seem to always get that anyway. And if you'll notice, those threads which get a little contentious always seem to have the most views... by a wide margin.

The folks who say they can't stand seeing them also can't seem to stop reading them. I'm not sure how we explain that. Hypocrisy perhaps?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

The folks who say they can't stand seeing them also can't seem to stop reading them. I'm not sure how we explain that. Hypocrisy perhaps?

For me it is closer to driving by a bad wreck. I don't want to look but sometimes I can't help myself. But certainly I am responsible if I see something I didn't want to see.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
Jim, I don't know who you're including in "we're", but I can't see how Caleb's criticism of negative comments about women shows intent toward anyone but the poster of those comments. "Hidden agenda" here is truly a mystery.

Jay

Jay, maybe you ought to read calebg's initial post where he says this place seems to be full of angry blowhards (plural). If he had a problem with Foxy, maybe he should have addressed just that, and certainly not in this section. He still hasn't shown us the racism.

... I'm also sorry I missed calebg's negative comment about Meg Whitman. Nice catch Doug (PA24). People who live in glass houses maybe oughta' not throw stones.

Keith,

Caleb reacted to posts in the main forum, acknowledged he was unaware of the "Misfires" forum.

I know his summary complaint was about plural posters, but still don't see where he or others attributed misogyny to anyone's posts but RWTFs. And I remain mystified by suspicion of unidentified posters harboring a "hidden agenda".

I also don't understand the suggestion that Caleb's criticism of a CA politician catering to CA's prevalent anti-gun politics somehow discredits his reaction to what he saw as objectionable remarks. His political criticism seemed to me straightforward and cogent.

Often happens in this kind of discussion that I feel like my wheels are spinning, not getting much of anywhere.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 06/16/14 07:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

For me it is closer to driving by a bad wreck. Sometimes I don't want to look but I can't help myself. But certainly I am responsible if I see something I didn't want to see.

Yes, this is how I see it too Mike.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the core of Calebs original post which goes to the crux of the issue.:

"The couple times I've logged on recently the board has been full of racist and misogynistic comments, as well as political rants. This stuff is outside the scope of polite conversation, and it never used to happen. Now it's not only happening, but appears to be tolerated by both members and moderators. "

I await ANYONE posting evidence of racist and misogynic comments in the main area of this board or even in Misfires. This should be an easy task since the board is apparently "full" of them.

And furthermore; I think it's fair and essential to ask this question. Why would someone who is an infrequent visitor to this board make such a bizarre and patently false statement?

Last edited by italiansxs; 06/16/14 08:27 PM.

calebg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As this is now in Misfires, I'll leave it alone after this post. I assume that means that any and all politics will now be in Misfires where they belong, too.

As for those who say that I have been stirring up trouble by finding something that isn't there: gender has no place in criticism; race has no place in criticism; sexual orientation has no place in criticism. The association - in any way - of any of the above three categories with a reason for criticism would be grounds for dismissal in any Fortune 500 company today. I take that to mean that all such discussion is outside of the bounds of decent discourse.

A brief rundown of my concerns. The use of "negro" in association with criticism is racist. Calling women golfers "lesbians" is both sexist and homophobic. And saying that women's place is in the kitchen is absolutely sexist. If anyone needs an explanation, they've either spent their entire lives in some backwater or they're being willfully ignorant.

All the above claims/associations are still on the front page. If saying that's a big deal makes me a whiner, so be it. It also means I'm part of the modern world that accepts civil rights, feminism, and gay rights as a fact rather than a debate.

Nobody with a decent job would openly talk about the place of women or the race of a politician even if they harbor them in their hearts for fear of the consequences. This stuff isn't a debate, it was settled 50 years ago.

My only request is that the board be moderated in such a way that people are able to ignore the politics and the off color comments. Put them all here in Misfires, and please keep them off the main board. Once they become integrated into threads on the main board (i.e. the Fausti thread) they become impossible to avoid. If people want to be bigots and this board is going to tolerate it, fine. Just let the rest of us steer clear of it.

Last edited by calebg; 06/16/14 09:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one is questioning that there was ONE isolated incident of the use of the word lesbian here.
However it was YOU who blew this all out of proportion as is clearly demonstrated in your initial post "full of racist and misogynistic comments" is not only false it's out and out bull$hit.
There is generally an underlying motive for doing something like this but apparently you'd rather keep that to your self. so be it.

calebg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

^ No way. In the "Another Misfires" thread on the main board, how many uses of "negro" are there in a negative way? There's way more going on than one use of the term "lesbian."

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.