March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Researcher, Jimmy W, SKB, arrieta2), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: apachecadillac
But I'm not sure that the B&E offerings, at their price points, are 'economy' guns by any measure except comparison to a very rarified peer group. As I indicated, I personally have a little trouble calling B&E price range 'economy' anything.

And I would concur - B&E are not marketing themselves as economy guns in any way shape or form. Guns with a starting price point of c12k don't qualify as "economy" and are a serious outlay - which Boxall and Edmiston recognise and tailor their offer accordingly to ensure the customer gets a suitably personal/bespoke experience.

There are some superb guns in the UK market which fit this moniker a lot better (Beretta Silver Pigeon, Guerini guns, Brownings etc) - but they are fully machine made, not bespoke, and you pay for what you get - usually around the 1.5-2k point. I would equally agree this can buy a very nice 2nd hand boxlock.

As Diggory points out, time will tell. There currently does appear a demand (in the UK) for these guns at this price point, but as costs creep up and influence pricing, things could change. Notwithstanding, there does seem to be a space in the market for a high quality, bespoke gun of real quality and with considerable craftsmanship included in the process. This is not simply Longthorne or B&E - but also includes Perazzis, Churchills, William Evans etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The economy I had in mind is exemplified by a hammer gun discussed with Mr Boniotti in Gardone a few years ago. Rounded bar, peninsula locks, and could be offered with Boehler monobloc barrels, unengraved, plainish American walnut stock. This was a diversion from the usual specs but Mr Boniotti was willing to do it and at about half the regular price which was 5000 USD for the full deal back then. Two or three thousand for such a gunmaker made gun is economy of sorts.

Naturally we are talking a using double and not an heirloom. Not a "best" by any means but no Huglu either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I handled a B & E, SxS boxlock at the Southern SxS a couple of years ago. I thought it was a nice enough gun and that you were paying for what you were getting. At the time, if they could have made me a 16 bore on a scaled 16 frame I would have bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By way of brief update, and after having used my Boxall and Edmiston for the past 8 months, I am delighted and remain very much proud of the gun but also in the underlying decision to go this route.

The market reaction to date has been very positive (see various online reviews from the shooting press) for the products B&E is making, and the order book remains very healthy - enough to now see waiting lists of 18mths which is encouraging not only for them but for the British gun trade in more general terms.

I won't deny there have been some minor teething issues early on in my ownership (sticky ejector fixed, original outsourced blacking poor so re-done completely in-house at no charge), but I expected this given it was the 2nd O/U they had made; in addition, I had the confidence in B&E that the personal service offered would ensure any issues were rapidly rectified which has been the case. B&E are also very much open-all-hours, so when I had feedback or issues arose, I could simply pick up the phone, discuss it, and know it would be fixed. Not always the case with a gun, and even for some at greater price points.

As mentioned previously, these aren't for everyone. I fully accept that these are not hand-made Purdeys or Boss' or that they have machine-engraving (instead of hand-engraving) as per some recent posts/comments. However, at the price point offered, they remain a very cohesive option when placed against comparable offerings, and I for one have no regrets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats on the new gun. I'm glad it's working out for you.

How about some pics?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Boxlock
Boxlock

some time ago (+-2009)you posted photos and queries regarding a fine E M Reilly side by side. This gun was owned by me and put up for Auction on Holts in about 2007. I live in Cape Town, South Africa and purchased it in 1998 from a guy in Port Elizabeth who in turn had purchased it at an auction in Johannesburg many years ago. So don't have much to add other than that the gun spent many years in South Africa. I used it on a few occasions for pigeon shooting and on the skeet range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jonathan
some time ago (+-2009)you posted photos and queries regarding a fine E M Reilly side by side. This gun was owned by me and put up for Auction on Holts in about 2007. I live in Cape Town, South Africa and purchased it in 1998 from a guy in Port Elizabeth who in turn had purchased it at an auction in Johannesburg many years ago. So don't have much to add other than that the gun spent many years in South Africa. I used it on a few occasions for pigeon shooting and on the skeet range.

What a lovely post and thank you Jonathan. This was the thread -

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...7072#Post157072

I had no idea of the rich and fascinating heritage of that Reilly, and the fact it had lived overseas for so long belies its immaculate condition. I am ashamed to say I no longer own the gun - I really enjoyed owning it and used it for 3 shooting seasons here in the UK; I ultimately sold it 2 years ago, via Diggory Hadoke, to a very nice American who resides in Houston and I'm told still uses the gun in the field. However, it was too nice to sit around - and I wanted to use the funds from its sale to purchase my Boxall and Edmiston last year (a 14 month process from specification to final delivery).

I was proud to be a custodian of the Reilly and hope it continues to outlast its (many) owners.

Boxlock
Boxlock

It was indeed a sad day when I parted with it but am pleased that it is in good hands and "working".
But as luck would have it I acquired another very similar E M Reilly shortly thereafter from a backwater gun shop. It is in very good condition with beautiful damascus barrels but is missing it's original case and is not quite as well engraved. I am not using it so may well sell it on as all my shooting revolves around clay target (Valley gun club) and black powder and I must admit to having lost enthusiasm to shoot birds.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.